Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

OK it was not easy, I took this picture through a jeweler's loupe and 2 magnifying glasses all hand held, try that sometime.
Of course here the thing does not have the polyps extended because I sucked it up in a baster looking thing and put it in a tiny dish. I Lied, it is an eigth of an inch, not a quarter.
What do you think are the chances to find this thing in a 6' long tank?
Now I have to look for some more.
Gobieggs014.jpg

kospaintball

that reminds me of my xenia when it closes up, i don't think it is tho because no little hands stickin out. it also reminds me of a small sun polyp

Paul B

I got it, they are colt corals. The thing is re producing. When they extend their polyps they look exactly like the adult.
Mystery solved

cleantank002.jpg

Paul B

On a different note I discovered that bumblebee gobi again today. I fed some mysis and he came to the front and ate a few. Now I know they eat other things besides worms, I will get some more.
How many people have bumblebee gobies in their reef?
OK so they are not a reef fish, who cares?

wazzifam

A gallon is too large. A quart would be better unless you need millions.
Here is the hatchery I made. The eggs hatch on the dark side, then it is covered and the shrimp swim to the clear side through a small hole. All the eggshells stay on the dark side. You don't have to feed the shrimp because they will not eat for a day anyway. They have a yokesack attached which is where all the nutrition is. You want to feed them as soon as they hatch which is the time the sack is the largest. I hatch them every day and feed them fresh. I never froze them although you can buy them frozen, they are not cheap. You can also buy them preserved in a jar. I only use these while on vacation when someone is feeding my tank. I don't think they are that good as many of them will be lost in the tank. The fish that eat these things eat them because they are moving.
Paul

Hey Paul, thanks. I could go into a whole discussion with you I cant find enough info out there on them it seems. Very fascinating to me and I do like to feed them to the fish. I didnt mean to purchase them frozen from a store, I just ment freezing the home grown fresh hatchings here. BUt I understand about them eatting them because they are moving.

I would like to see the contraption you built for yours then i'll show you mine!
Hows the little bumble bee?
Amazing pics here! Did you say you identified the polyp to be a colt?

Kim

Paul B

The bumblebee if fine and now he comes out to eat mysis. I think I will get some more.
The two polyps seem to be from the colt coral. When they extend their tentacles they look just like it. I can see two places on the parent where they came from. They break off from the tips. I am keeping them in a seperate container until I can get them to stick to something.
Here is the hatchery
Hatchery002.jpg

dianezoo

I think your a pathblazer with the gobie. I doubt anyone has one in a reef anywhere. glad you discovered the baby colts too. awesome.

Paul B

Diane, I just went to the store to get a few more but came back with a harliquin shrimp. It's almost the same as a bumblebee gobi :drunk:

I felt sorry for this thing because the store was just letting it croak and I have hundreds of tiny starefish and in the summer I can collect all I want.
(Besides I talked them into giving it to me for half price)
I still want more of those bumblebees as they are very cool, and cheap.
I am trying to see if they would be good for a nano. I want to keep it a while first to make sure they do well. My tank is too big and it is hard to find him. I have not seen him today but I am fairly sure he will turn up.
Have a great day.
Paul

Gobieggs018.jpg

Paul B

That little Bumblebee gobi is living the good life. He now seems to eat a variety of foods and judging by his stomach, he is also finding other things to eat. He also eats live baby brine which I am glad about because I feed those twice a day.
If I have time I want to get a few more of these gobie's today.
They are a nice colorful addition to a reef although they are more of a brackish inlet or bay type of fish. I just don't tell anyone and they think he is a reef fish. He thinks that also, I think

Paul B

I got two more of those bumblebee gobies. My bangai cardinal tried to eat one a few times and I will have to look to see if he is still there this morning. One of them is about 3/4" long so is a little small for my reef.

ReefLady

Staff member
I cannot imagine a Bangai cardinal trying to eat another fish, LOL.
The shrimp is awesome. Will they eat the smallish (asterina) stars along with other specimens?