Tank Setup for Breeding Pair of Bluespot Jawfish - What Would You Do?

bluespotjawfish

Well, no, BJ is still just flashing and going to stay in the 125, but let's have some discussion on this...

How big/dimensions of tank would you get?

What type of lighting?

How much live rock?

How much rubble (on top of or mixed in with sand)?

How much sand, what type?

What cleanup crew would you put in there with them?

How would you go about acquiring a potential pair?

What ph/temp/salinity?

What would you feed, and how often?

Anything else you can think of...

Just copy and paste this into a reply and include your answer to each question and reasons why...

seafansar

How big/dimensions of tank would you get? 40 breeder tank, but can be smaller for a single pair. Breeder tanks offer the most surface area for tunneling building.

What type of lighting? Doubt it matters.

How much live rock? No liverock.

How much rubble (on top of or mixed in with sand)? Crushed coral sand or gravel for a depth of six or more inches for adequate burrowing. Larger pieces of coral rubble should also be added for the fish to incorporate into the entrance of their caves.

How much sand, what type?

What cleanup crew would you put in there with them?

How would you go about acquiring a potential pair?

What ph/temp/salinity? 80*F.

What would you feed, and how often? A well fed fish is more likely to breed.

Most of this info came from The Complete Illustrated Breeder's Guide to Marine Aquarium Fishes by Matthew Wittenrich about yellowheaded jawfish. I'd recommend this book and visiting MOFIB (MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding) if you plan on breeding them. Good luck!

SeahorseBT

Yeah, I like the idea of a 40 breeder. I would do live rock, but not much. I thought these fish came from cooler waters? Maybe you should experiment with temps at the high 70's. I would also make sure that I had a quiet tank. Few, if any tank mates.

seafansar

Yeah, I like the idea of a 40 breeder. I would do live rock, but not much. I thought these fish came from cooler waters? Maybe you should experiment with temps at the high 70's. I would also make sure that I had a quiet tank. Few, if any tank mates.

The requirements I posted were for yellowheaded jawfish, so some things like temp are probably different. I don't know why the book said no liverock. It never gave an explaination, but the funny thing is it includes a picture of what I assume is a breeding pair in a tank with liverock! Who knows. You could go onto marine breeders and ask the author yourself. He's on that forum as Witt I believe.