Tank Sand Storming!!

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hello all!

Well was talking to ReeferAddict in chat this afternoon and he mentioned he did some sand storming in his tank. He blasted the top 1" layer of sand with a turkey blaster and now is tank looks so clean and clear and the sand looks white again.

I thanked him for reminding me to do this as well. So when I was done talking to him I caused a big sand storm in my tank and let it get up in the water current and through my skimmer into the overflow box with polyfilter in it to catch it. I also blasted the LR as well.

Wow what a difference it has made to my tank. I need to do this at least once a month especially with all the talk about DSB these days!

Now I need to run some carbon but got to pick up some cheese cloth first to put the carbon in. Just takes out alot of inpurities in your water and makes your critters and corals alot happier and is beneficial to them as well. Just thought I would share!:)

Brucey

Yeah, all good info .... the days of not disturbing a DSB are changing I think. I have a shallow sandbed anyway (Appeox 1/2 inch) and always have a Sandsifting gobi in the system ..... my sand is always pure white. I know the DSB guys wouldn't have one because of the potential damage they do to a DSB but I'm a great believer in turning your sand over all the time
JMO
Brucey

addict

Montanareefer said:
He blasted the top 1" layer of sand with a turkey blaster and now is tank looks so clean and clear and the sand looks white again.

Here's a picture of that turkey blaster if people are interested... (sorry Johnny, couldn't resist. :D ).

ReefLady

Staff member
Here's a picture of that turkey blaster if people are interested... (sorry Johnny, couldn't resist.

ROFLMAO! Oh ... LOL, that's just too funny!
:laughroll

cleartank

Originally posted by reefer addict

Here's a picture of that turkey blaster if people are interested... (sorry Johnny, couldn't resist. :D ).

:D That is so funny... a real live turkey blaster! :D

Icebox

Hey RA, can I borrow that turkey baster? I have not been able to find one of those in the stores around here. :p

Hmm, sifting the sand in your sandbed, that sounds interesting...