tank pic's with steves led

Diemaker

hey guys I wanted to start a thread with pics of your tanks lit with led's
what k rating are you running, whose the manufacture,how long have you had the lights and do you supplement with anything else

Diemaker

70b4d2e036373d9d9310c442152defd6.jpg

Sent from my space ship

Diemaker

the reason I wanted to start this thread is i've had some issues keeping sps after installing the led lights. I'm trying to track down a par meter to do some tests and see what the numbers are. I bought the 16K version of the lights. I do find that red and green sps is no problem and has decent colour but other colours like blue and purple seem to fade away.

I really don't want to make this a thread about water parameters
but I will post mine i have zero TDS from my RO/DI unit and am using reef crystals
salinity 1.026
temp 78-79
ph 8.4
cal 425
dkh 8.9
mag 1300
phos .025
nit 0

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have Steve's LED lighting on my RSM 250
image.jpg
Took that just now...lights are starting to dim. I run all 4 channels at 78%.
I've had them about 18 months or maybe a little longer.

Snyper19

PREMIUM
I own steve LEDs too and most of my corals are sps... They've been doing great so far after leaving them alone for a few weeks... Just posted pics on my thread Miguel's 250 rsm

Just a fyi, my tank does not look as nice as Diana's

Mdk16

This is an interesting thread and one I'll watch closely. As many of you know I helped design the retrofit for Steve's 650 and was the first to install it in my tank. While I love the look (keeps the stock appearance) love the idea of not running a chiller and not having to replace bulbs I do have some questions regarding their ability to keep certain corals. I think one of the major challenges with this system is not having a guide regarding led run rate percentages. It would great to have some information out their regarding par levels at different percentages. Most of what I have read is that people are running them too high/hot. Mine ramp up to 55%. I've had trouble keeping torches and hammers with these lights which always flourished under the t5's. I understand that there are so many factors within our aquariums that's it's hard to blame the LEDS but most of these diy kits have not been tested exactly the way they are installed (hood height, angle etc). It seems like people are having success on the bio cubes and smaller tanks with Steve's but I have yet to see a larger tank take off with these lights.

Anyone having good success with this retro kit please chime in.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Wish Greg (@goma ) was not MIA right now. He has Steve's LEDs and has done some par meter testing. There may be more info in a tread he did on it.
Just since we upgraded the softwear here, We may have lost some of the pictures. I'll see if I can find that thread.
I think there are several more RSM tanks with Steve's LEDs.

Bgouges

hey guys just thought ild chime in, i run stevesleds in mys rsm 250 i run them at 80% whites 85% blues, i do have a hard time keeping lps maily torches and hammers, they do survive yet they dont flourish the same as when i had t5s. I assume it must be something to do with different spectrums of lights, i have a rsm130 that houses all my lps that were struggling during the conversion. I also made the change to a zeovit powered tank at the same time so that may have limited the nutrients for the lps aswell. At some points in time i do feel like the leds are lacking some aspect of lighting that the corals need, some zoas colonies become elongated and seem to reach for the light until moved upwards toward the light, yet i havent done significant research in the matter this is purely from and observation P.O.V

leds at full power 80/85
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 7

Diemaker

Here's the thread I was thinking about:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/steves-led-par-value-in-rsm-250.88359/
It may not help with your wonders. :fishy:
There are several more "Steve's LED" threads also. Just search it here at RS.
Thanks Diana, I know theres a lot of threads here about steve's but I don't remember anything about people reporting about there long term effects of them. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with steve's led setup it could just be me or LED's in general. None the less it's nice to see feed back as we all have the same brand>

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Diana, I know theres a lot of threads here about steve's but I don't remember anything about people reporting about there long term effects of them. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with steve's led setup it could just be me or LED's in general. None the less it's nice to see feed back as we all have the same brand>

Just check my thread, Installed & started using my LEDs 01-04-2013.
So for over 2 years now.
All I can tell you is: I don't dose anything & very seldom spot feed my corals.
I only use Instant a Ocean Reef Crystals but I do weekly WCs (10gal)
Here's the moni-caps that I just removed because they out-grew my tank:
image.jpg
They seemed to have loved the light....Grew TOO FAST for my liking!

Diemaker

Just check my thread, Installed & started using my LEDs 01-04-2013.
So for over 2 years now.
All I can tell you is: I don't dose anything & very seldom spot feed my corals.
I only use Instant a Ocean Reef Crystals but I do weekly WCs (10gal)
Here's the moni-caps that I just removed because they out-grew my tank:
View attachment 41854
They seemed to have loved the light....Grew TOO FAST for my liking!

well you tank certainly debunks the led's being the problem at least on the rsm 250 beautiful tank Diana

Diemaker

well it's being a few weeks and i've switch back over with new bulbs to my t5"s and what a big difference in all my corals. Everything has started to colour back up nicely even more so with the sps I'm thinking that doing the 16K led kit was not a good idea but I have seen other kit's with the 12K kit that look great. I will post some before and after pics of the progress I think that there is not enough whites in the 16K kit and when you crank up the whites that are there that they bleach out the coral that are under them.

Pat24601

well it's being a few weeks and i've switch back over with new bulbs to my t5"s and what a big difference in all my corals. Everything has started to colour back up nicely even more so with the sps I'm thinking that doing the 16K led kit was not a good idea but I have seen other kit's with the 12K kit that look great. I will post some before and after pics of the progress I think that there is not enough whites in the 16K kit and when you crank up the whites that are there that they bleach out the coral that are under them.

Glad to see it going well now, but ouch. That's a pricey lesson. I just installed Steve's 14k. I'll post long term effects when I know them.