HELP! Tank parameter advise

Desmond

Hi all just needing a little advise on my parameters. I seem to have high MG reading and wondering is there a way a can get these down.
I have a Red sea max 130D. I currently dose the following in my tank. NOPOX 2ml per day , Aquaforest suplement as follows Coral A 1 drop per day , Coral B 1 drop per day , Coral V 1 drop per day , Iodum 1 drop every 2 days. Purple up 1 cap per week.My test results were as follows today.I dont really understand why my MG is so high. All coral are doing well and are growing and i have added SPS recently and they are doing good and growing.Any help would be very much appriocated.
SG 1.024 i am rising slowly as i want 1.025.
PH 8.35
N04 0
N02 0
N03 2
P04 0.03
CA 400
KH 8.1
MG 1600

DaveK

First and most important, do not chase numbers, you'll do a lot more harm than good.

Second, magnesium usually doesn't rise on it's own. Test your newly mixed SW. Some brands mix high or low. If the new water is high also, test your source of FW used to mix your salt. If the new water is more or less normal, consider the additives your using, especially the Purple Up.

While we are on the subject of additives, I count the use of 7. You really shouldn't need them. Consider cutting them back to the point where you only use them when you have a specific issue to resolve.

Desmond

My only worry there if i stop using them now do i risk a crash. I will for sure check both levels you have mentioned. I am aiming for 1.026 for my SG also. For the dosing i am doing small amount really as advised by a very experience reef keeper but i will stop for the week and see how my levels do.Lets hope it does not upset the balance :) Thanks agin for your advise

Pat24601

Are you sure your test is correct? I know when I first started to test magnesium using the Red Sea test kit I got readings in that range and I was just doing the test wrong. Can you double check it with your LFS?

Maybe you've been doing this forever and you know what you are doing fine. Not saying that isn't true. I just don't know so I thought I'd mention. :)

If it is that high, the advice DaveK gave makes sense as always.

pablomay28

Hi all just needing a little advise on my parameters. I seem to have high MG reading and wondering is there a way a can get these down.
I have a Red sea max 130D. I currently dose the following in my tank. NOPOX 2ml per day , Aquaforest suplement as follows Coral A 1 drop per day , Coral B 1 drop per day , Coral V 1 drop per day , Iodum 1 drop every 2 days. Purple up 1 cap per week.My test results were as follows today.I dont really understand why my MG is so high. All coral are doing well and are growing and i have added SPS recently and they are doing good and growing.Any help would be very much appriocated.
SG 1.024 i am rising slowly as i want 1.025.
PH 8.35
N04 0
N02 0
N03 2
P04 0.03
CA 400
KH 8.1
MG 1600
I would suggest getting another Mg test just to verify. All other parameters look good. I have my KH at 9.5

DaveK

My only worry there if i stop using them now do i risk a crash. I will for sure check both levels you have mentioned. I am aiming for 1.026 for my SG also. For the dosing i am doing small amount really as advised by a very experience reef keeper but i will stop for the week and see how my levels do.Lets hope it does not upset the balance :) Thanks agin for your advise

You would be very unlikely to crash your tank, but even so, it's never a bad idea to reduce the additives slowly.

Yea, there are people that do douse a lot of additives. In my opinion they waste a lot of money on most of them. I would say that the calcium and alkalinity additives can be of benefit if your unable to maintain those levels due to the corals consuming them. Most other additives should only be used when you have a very specific problem you need to solve.

You'll find that a well established tank is usually quite stable. It actually takes quite a but to upset the balance.

Desmond

Are you sure your test is correct? I know when I first started to test magnesium using the Red Sea test kit I got readings in that range and I was just doing the test wrong. Can you double check it with your LFS?

Maybe you've been doing this forever and you know what you are doing fine. Not saying that isn't true. I just don't know so I thought I'd mention. :)

If it is that high, the advice DaveK gave makes sense as always.

It is possible i have done it wrong but i did do it 2 times. I will take a samole of water to my LFS nad see what readings he gets and also do another test myself later. The aditives i use seem to be helping my corals as they are all in great health but i will reduce slowly and see how the readings are looking by the weekend. I am going away at the end of July for 3 weeks so i really want to make sure all is good before i leave or i will be stressing , cant have my baby crash when away i would be devastated and my woman hates the idea of leaving a key for a friend to come in when gone :-( maybe i should just put the foot down and say she does not have the option of disagreeing with me he he. I will have to put my battle gear on before :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Like usually ALWAYS, I believe @DaveK gives great advice.
My tank is 2+ years mature & I very seldom add anything.
Keeping watch on your parameters is good to do if you see things aren't looking good in your tank but chasing numbers can drive you insane.
I depend on WEEKLY WCs & get decent results:
image.jpg
Use good salt mix & give your tank a chance to see if you need anything else.

Desmond

Well i re checked all today and it is as follows.
SG 1.024
PH 8.35
N04 0
N02 0
N03 2
P04 0.03
CA 420
KH 8.1
MG 1400
It is possible i may have done the test incorrect yesterday , so i will take to the marine store a sample tomorrow to test and do again myself. But if this is the case i will be happy with these readings :)

DaveK

The only thing I see is that your magnesium is a little high, but not enough to worry about.

Don't forget to test your new water when you mix it.

Pat24601

It's good to hear it may be more in line. Keep me up on how it goes. I don't what it is about Magnesium, but I used to get artificially high tests.

These days I actually rarely even test for Magnesium. Unless my calcium or alk are having trouble being maintained, I don't worry about Mg and really I've never had trouble maintaining ca and alk. So, I can't remember the last time I actually tested for Mg. :)

Desmond

The only thing I see is that your magnesium is a little high, but not enough to worry about.

Don't forget to test your new water when you mix it.
Yes i will still check the water when i mix it on friday and see what the level is then :)

Desmond

It's good to hear it may be more in line. Keep me up on how it goes. I don't what it is about Magnesium, but I used to get artificially high tests.

These days I actually rarely even test for Magnesium. Unless my calcium or alk are having trouble being maintained, I don't worry about Mg and really I've never had trouble maintaining ca and alk. So, I can't remember the last time I actually tested for Mg. :)

Ahh i dont check to often myself as my KH and CA have been stable. Its probably good advise not to go chasing the readings as it will drive me mad lol. As long as all is stable i will be happy, better stable than up and down :)