tank flow question guys

nightfire76

so right now i have a koralia 4 (1200 gph) and a koralia 3 (850) for a total of 2050 gph which is great for a 55 gallon though my thing is that is seems way too consitrated and a few of my corals are closing up some if not opening at all like some of my zoas....i've moved some here and there and its still the same so.....question is....should i put less flow in the tank even though i have softies, lps and sps or.....should i just get smaller pumps in there like 2 on each side that equals about the same amount of gph?

DaveK

It's sometimes hard to tell if flow is the issue. To find out for sure, unplug the Koralia's early in the morning and see what happens by late afternoon. If the corals and zoas open way up, then you may have too much flow. If they stay the same look into other problems.

I don't think changing the Korilia's would do too much either way. Your using about what I'd use on a similar sized tank.

pdawg

That means the zoas aren't fond of the high flow. If I were you I would move them into a place with less flow, or unplug one of the koralias, or you can re-arrange the direction the koralias are blowing water.

Robzilla

I have two higher power PHs pointint toward the overflow and keep my SPS on that side. On the other, I only have a small Korallia nano pointing back the other way and keep my Euphilia and other lower flow corals on that side. I will be trying to replace the two high powered ones with a single MP10 though.

lcstorc

I agree with Rob.
Pointing the power heads at each other will break up the flow and make it more gentle for the more sensitive corals. I have also had good results bouncing the flow on the side of the tank or even the top of the tank though that does create salt creep.

astiesi

Are you using the flow directors that come with the older Koralias and snap on the front? I liked the flow pattern much better without these pieces as it was much wider and less concentrated. You may want to give it a try.

nightfire76

i dont have the attachments to them though they are not pointing right at each other.... i have them at each end of the tank at the very back top of the glass and they are both pointing at bout a 45 degree angle....right now for sure the current is pretty balanced because if i just have one on it pulls or pushes some of my button polyps and i wish i could have them on a controller but my koralias are the first ones that came out and from what i know you shouldnt use them with a controler.....though i see hydor has a mini controller for like 50 bucks and they control the newer koralias

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds more like your looking for an excuse to buy new pumps! LOL!

You have our blessings Mario ;)

I agree that if the issue is too much flow then you just need to do some flow sculpting. Pull all the pumps that are easy to get out and start over.

nightfire76

lol actually i would like wave box affect with controlable pumps frankie lol but yea i suppose i just need to move my pumps around

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Are your Euphyllias gently swaying in the current or are they pulling to a particular side ?
AFA zoanthids I have them in strong flow and not so strong and they do well just about everywhere never had them close because of it. If flow is the issue then I agree with Lynn place the ph's on opposite sides aimed at each other to create a more turbulant indirect flow and if that is still too much then aim both of them towards the surface of the tank.