Tank cycled in 2 weeks?

Cannoy

I took some water to my LFS and I'm showing now ammonia or nitrite and low nitrates and its only been two weeks. The tank has about 30 gallons of water total and around 30 pounds of rock, 10 of those pounds are from a tank ive had setup for over 10 years.

DaveK

This is possible, however, what did you do to start the cycle in the new tank, besides add existing live rock? Also, did you see an ammonia spike, even a small one?

Personally I wouldn't depend upon your LFS and a single test to verify that the tank is cycled.

In almost all cases, you need to add a source of ammonia to really get the cycle started. Usually a raw shrimp from the seafood section of your grocery store is preferred. It is possible that there is enough bacteria on the old rock so that the system didn't show the usual ammonia spike, but you can't be sure unless you add a serious source of ammonia.

Dracko

Don't be in a hurry. Those 10#s could be giving off a false alarm. Wait a few days and check again. And trust me, you want your own kit.

Varga

Assuming don't have fish/corals, one way to test it is to dose pure ammonia; up to 3 ppm. You tank should be able to bring it down to zero within 24 hours.