Tank Crashing - Signs to lookout for!

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
We have seen a lot of tank crashing these last couple of months, so I thought why not start a thread that warns the rest of the reefers out there what to look for before a tank crashes.

So all those who had tank crashes, please add to this thread of signs to watch for before a tank crashes.

mnreefman

well about alli can say is keep a journal, do frequent testing, if not daily.... but watch the inhabitants.... are fish breathing normaly,swimming normally, all in all are they acting normaly... are coral polyps extended.... mine crashed from my own lazyness...

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Signs for a tank crashing!

Well consistent algae blooms of various types like on the DSB.

Phosphates leaking from the DSB into the water column.

Just a couple of signs and will leave more to others as they post.

Cause: Poor Husbandry above all else.

Proper maintenance of a DSB can keep one alive and active for a few years but even then they need to be replace.

You got to do the basic testing and always observing your inhabitants.

Proper husbandry I cannot stress enough!:D

mnreefman

it isnt fradulent it say you posted it.....
and i am sorry nivek for hijacking this thread....

bye bye

wooddood

the wood dude
personally i have never had a tank crash.but i am currently running a 5inch dsb in my 120 and am seeing signs like johnny said about algea blooms.i will be moving my 120 tomorrow to the new house and will be going bare bottom.i will be using starboard as a substraight with live rock rubble scattered on the bottom.but i also agree that good husbandtry is the key to the success of any reef tank regardless of the substraight.i have to admit i have been slacking the last couple of months on maintenence of my reef because of all my time spent on building the new house.but i am still a believer that a dsb is a problem waiting to happen.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I knew I smelled a DSB thread....lol

The term "crash" is a pretty broad generalization. I believe the general idea behind a "crashing" DSB, is simply algae that is out of control - uncontrolable phosphates. If you search around, then you'll see people having issues of algae, but they are looking for band-aid remedies....what eats this hair algae, what critters will get rid of this, etc. As mentioned, proper husbandry is important, as is understanding how a DSB functions. There are a number of things that can be done to sustain the life of a SB, but that is a different thread. It isn't always the sand that is to blame, the live rock can also be a problem, too. What to look for....algae that won't go away --> then test for inorganic phosphates in the water column, then test about 1/2 inch into the sand for phosphates, on the live rock...you get the idea. Try to figure out where the phosphates are leaching from (if phosphates are the problem) and go from there.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Originally posted by mnreefman
well about alli can say is keep a journal, do frequent testing, if not daily.... but watch the inhabitants.... are fish breathing normaly,swimming normally, all in all are they acting normaly... are coral polyps extended.... mine crashed from my own lazyness...

I will be starting on my 3rd notepad soon... I've journalled (<--is that a real word? lol) everything to do with my tank; everytime I add something, the type of food i'm using, the parameters, the waterchanges... everything! It's like a diary really and is an extremely valuable tool when researching something. It's amazing what my memory fails to remember :smirk: .

I have mostly soft corals and they will change shape/textures quickly in response to good or bad things going on. They act as a barometer for me :D. I know what shape is normal for each one and will quickly know if they're unhappy!

reefshadow

I journal too, and I also use specific corals as a "barometer" like Woodstock does.

I think the journalling is an invaluable resource because it IS really amazing what I can forget I have done, and when. I journal things such as new livestock additions, new equipment, equipment maintainence, water changes, amount and types of supplements added, test results, growth rates, etc... etc... it's really good for spotting trends and patterns.

I also observe my tanks and do a mental inventory every day. I make sure all fish are accounted for, corals look good, equipment is running normally, etc. This is a pleasure though, the whole reason I have my tanks. I love to look at them!

Seeya, Becca :)

Mebigloser

I also keep records. I check my water parms every Sunday morning then enter them in a computer program. I keep track of when I add new stuff or remove, water changes, chemicals, ect.ect.