Tank Busted a Seam Friday Night

knapp870

Well, Friday Night my 45 gallon Hex busted a seam and started shooting water 4 feet into my living room. :cry1: It was quite a horrifying site. Luckily I had a few people there to help, had one person hold in on the sides to slow the leak while I siphoned water, pulled out live rock into rubber maid containers, caught fish and moved corals. Currently most of it is in rubber maid containers and most of the fish are crammed into a 10 gallon that I had luckily up and running for a QT tank. Needless to say the fish aren't happy but they are still alive and fairly healthy. The other thing I am worried about is my Nem. I then spent a majority of the weekend hitting up local fish stores and craigslist. Luckily, late sunday night I found a great deal on a 55 gallon acrylic, with stand, hood, overflow, return pump and some other miscellaneous goodies. 35 bucks! :) So, I am now in the process of rebuilding and will be adding water, etc tonight. I never thought this would happen to me, but unfortunately it did. However, I am just thankful I was home when it happened.

Last edited:

Robzilla

Wow very lucky (for such an unlucky event) indeed! Good thing you acted fast and had containers available. Start a new thread and keep us posted on the rebuild!

knapp870

Thanks! My tank had been up for about 3 years and I was really wanting to upgrade larger, however this kind of forced my hand. Unfortunately I didn't get the 75 gallon that I would have preferred, but I still got an upgrade, plus with the overflow that came with it, I can now finally build a sump/refugium combo that I had always wanted but couldnt under the hex due to size restrictions.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Very sorry to hear about the hex. :) But, it sounds like you're making the best of what was a terrible situation.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Wow! So glad you was home for this. Shame you didn't get some VIDEO but I guess shooting VID wasn't high on your priority list at the time of the incident. Good luck with the move :)

knapp870

HAHAHA! Ya, I wish I would have snapped a pic of the horizontal geyser, however I think my buddy have have gotten a pic or two, I'll have to see and post. Thanks Al!