Tang for RS Reefer 350????

db75Reef

I have a RS 350 reefer, around 2 years old, but recently lost most of fishes :(.
Getting back with stock - now I have a copperband butterfly, a cinnamon clown and a green chromis - all doing great and happy;

I am considering adding a tang, but info on internet is confusing - for same tang requirements from 50 to 500 g. No, dont plan an upgrade soon, so tang should live long in this tank;

- yellow tang - out of discussion as read horror stories about those and copperbands
- kole tang (or similar) - had one before the outbreak and would try something different if possible;

I dont plan other large fish, would like as centerpieces the tang and the butterfly;
thanks for support

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

First, see this thread on keeping a tang - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/so-you-want-a-tang.566/

Make sure you consider all factors especially adult size. Species to consider that would be reasonably comfortable in your tank would be a kloe tang, maybe a convict tang, maybe a purple tang but they are expensive, maybe a scopas tang, a bristletooth tang several species here all should be OK. The fish I list as maybe technically require a little larger tank, but you have a chance with them in your tank.

One thing you may notice is that many of these species are not the highly colorful tangs people seem to want. Many of those have much larger tank requirements.

Many tangs are notorious "ich magnets" quarantining the fish is highly recommended. Also quarantine any additional fish you get in the future.

Lastly, don't feel you must have a tang, there are plenty of other fish out there that would work well in your tank.

db75Reef

First, see this thread on keeping a tang - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/so-you-want-a-tang.566/

Make sure you consider all factors especially adult size. Species to consider that would be reasonably comfortable in your tank would be a kloe tang, maybe a convict tang, maybe a purple tang but they are expensive, maybe a scopas tang, a bristletooth tang several species here all should be OK. The fish I list as maybe technically require a little larger tank, but you have a chance with them in your tank.

One thing you may notice is that many of these species are not the highly colorful tangs people seem to want. Many of those have much larger tank requirements.

Many tangs are notorious "ich magnets" quarantining the fish is highly recommended. Also quarantine any additional fish you get in the future.

Lastly, don't feel you must have a tang, there are plenty of other fish out there that would work well in your tank.

Thanks Dave,
interesting thread, indeed; but there is written something like...

"in most reef tanks in the 75 - 100 gallon range you can keep two tangs in the 7' - 10" adult size range without too much problem if you mix the genus properly. Anything under 75 gallons and 48" or longer can accomodate one tang. in that size range."

They refer to mixing tangs.... In same way, many "larger" tangs are max 10"

Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon), 9"
Whitecheek Tang (Acanthurus nigricans), 8"
Blue Caribbean Tang (Acanthurus coeruleus), 9"
Clown Tang (Acanthurus lineatus), 15" (Mean as snakes per mojoreef)
Lieutenant Tang (Acanthurus tennenti), 10"
Lemon Tang (Acanthurus sp.), 10"
Lavender Tang (Acanthurus nigrofuscus), 8"

As RS Reefers are 75 gallon / 48" ....

Damn, I am still confused; :crying:
Why would like a tang is because my tank is rather static for now (copperband, clown), even the green chromis just follow the copperband and doesnt swim too much. I know a tang swim a lot and make the tank more active - and I love them all :)

db75Reef

Reading various forums and threads around web seems that Mimic Lemon Peel Tang is a good candidate and looks awesome as well. Opinions??

DaveK

I'd say that two adult size tangs in a 100 gal tank is just doable, but your really pressing your luck. I'd stick with one unless you have a tank closer to 200 gal. Also "running room" is important. A 4 foot tank is minimum with a longer tank being a lot better.

db75Reef

I'd say that two adult size tangs in a 100 gal tank is just doable, but your really pressing your luck. I'd stick with one unless you have a tank closer to 200 gal. Also "running room" is important. A 4 foot tank is minimum with a longer tank being a lot better.

Dave, all I want is one tang. The thread you recommended talks about 2 tangs in 75 gallons; I would love an Acanthurus but question is if it is OK in it.

Here is a photo on my tank and how rocks are placed. Flow in tank is around 60x the volume if important

IMG_3811.JPG

DaveK

This would depend upon the exact species you want to keep. There are quite a few different species of Acanthurus. For example, a convict tang (Acanthurus triostegus) would be just fine, a powder blue tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) would be a maybe, but a Achilles tang (Acanthurus achilles) would be a bad choice, due to the tank size needed.

While we are on the subject, avoid the clown tang and the schol tang. Not only do these fish require an extremely large tank, they also tend to become extremely aggressive oftem killing the rest of the fish in the tank.

db75Reef

This would depend upon the exact species you want to keep. There are quite a few different species of Acanthurus. For example, a convict tang (Acanthurus triostegus) would be just fine, a powder blue tang (Acanthurus leucosternon) would be a maybe, but a Achilles tang (Acanthurus achilles) would be a bad choice, due to the tank size needed.

While we are on the subject, avoid the clown tang and the schol tang. Not only do these fish require an extremely large tank, they also tend to become extremely aggressive oftem killing the rest of the fish in the tank.

thanks again Dave,
I know powder blue tangs are awesome, but difficult and aggressive;
Actually what I am looking at is either a powder brown (japonicus) or a mimic lemonpeel tang (forgot the latin name). But on mimic tang info is scarce and contradictory; Some say 75g others 120g or more;

DaveK

I've got a powder blue tang, and I've not had any issues with it. However each fish is an individual. powder blue tangs are noted for being "ich magnets", so you want to be very careful about that. I've not found mine to be aggressive.

Your going to find a lot of different opinions on tank sizes for tangs. Your tank works out to about 90 gal and is about 4 feel long. The tank length is usually more important than tank volume when it comes to tangs. A 125 gal cube would tend to be a worse choice than a much longer 90 gal tank. Tank sizes should be though of as a general guideline. If you have a 90 gal tank and the requirement for the fish is listed as 125 gal, that's not too far off. If you had a 30 gal tank with the same fish, you'd have a big problem.

You should be ok with either of the tangs your looking at. My personal preference would be the powder brown, but that's just me.

SPR

thanks again Dave,
I know powder blue tangs are awesome, but difficult and aggressive;
Actually what I am looking at is either a powder brown (japonicus) or a mimic lemonpeel tang (forgot the latin name). But on mimic tang info is scarce and contradictory; Some say 75g others 120g or more;
The lemon peel tang looks very nice, especially when juveniles as they are bright yellow. Infact it’s going to be on my shopping list now!

I suppose all of this will depend on what you can get from your LFS as well. Don’t get a Regal Tang as although they start small they grow quickly and are very active swimmers.

One of my personal favourites has got to be my Yellow Tang. He is simply beautiful, although I appreciate what you say in your system. I have lots of different Tangs and they all get on very well together. At the moment anyway!

Good luck.

db75Reef

The lemon peel tang looks very nice, especially when juveniles as they are bright yellow. Infact it’s going to be on my shopping list now!

I suppose all of this will depend on what you can get from your LFS as well. Don’t get a Regal Tang as although they start small they grow quickly and are very active swimmers.

One of my personal favourites has got to be my Yellow Tang. He is simply beautiful, although I appreciate what you say in your system. I have lots of different Tangs and they all get on very well together. At the moment anyway!

Good luck.
Thanks for advices. I balance between powder and mimic tangs. Only one for sure. Even if mimics are not as colorfull as powder seems that are hardier and less aggresive. Will take a trip soon to a shop and see. If not will go to another shop [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a RS 350 reefer, around 2 years old, but recently lost most of fishes :(.
Getting back with stock - now I have a copperband butterfly, a cinnamon clown and a green chromis - all doing great and happy;

I am considering adding a tang, but info on internet is confusing - for same tang requirements from 50 to 500 g. No, dont plan an upgrade soon, so tang should live long in this tank;

- yellow tang - out of discussion as read horror stories about those and copperbands
- kole tang (or similar) - had one before the outbreak and would try something different if possible;

I dont plan other large fish, would like as centerpieces the tang and the butterfly;
thanks for support

Do yourself a favor and stick with www.liveaquaria.com when it comes to a source for minimum tank sizes. There is a little variance with the minimum on some fish but it's far more accurate than other sites for minimum tank sizes. For you the small bristletooth varieties would work:

Kole Tang
Two Spot Bristletooth (aka Blue Eye Kole Tang)
Tomini Tang
Squaretail Tang

https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...15+43&r=3125&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

If you have the money or the patience to wait for one the White Tail Bristletooh Tang

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+3130&pcatid=3130

db75Reef

Considering all pros and cons of different tangs, this weekend went to a shop and picked up this guy - lemonpeel mimic tang. Even if not too much info available (comparing with other tangs) - seems that is hardy, less aggressive and quite a beauty in juvenile stage and adult as well;
3 days in my tank and is doing great.

00100c.JPG

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Looks like a good choice, one of my favorite tangs. They do well so long as water params in check and they have full bellies. I saw a bunch of these years back when I was diving in the Cayman Islands. They were all crazy fat (naturally healthy), almost round.

Jeff