Tang behaviour

rufus2008

So I have a approx 3.5 inch sailfin tang and a 3.5 inch orange line tang who have been together in my tank for 2 years. They get along fine, there's the odd tail wagging , but nothing serious. My question is why aren't they out swimming around? They prefer to hang out behind the rocks under a couple caves. Anyone else have similar experiences? Other occupants in my tank are: 4 clowns, 2 convict Blenny's, a blue and yellow damsel, a Bengal cardinal, and the 2 tangs. They are housed in a 108 gallon mixed reef.
c11d2ef2e9269a30ed031a03b573e917.jpg

This picture I just took shows about where they are most of the day. They do come out skiddishly when I hang up seaweed on their clip but only long enough for a mouthful then right back to their caves. Any insight?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Pat24601

Weird. Hopefully someone with more experience can help better. I agree it seems odd.

My tangs are always out swimming around. The behavior you describe makes it sound to me like they are afraid of something, but I don't see what that could be in your tank.

rufus2008

I know right that's what I'm thinking too. They are the largest fish in there they shouldn't be afraid.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

StirCrayzy

I'm larger than all of my fish, but my clowns can still scare me.
They are territorial creatures, and possibly your issue.
With 4 clowns they could be intimidating the tangs. Maybe when the clowns go to sleep( usually painfully obvious location) net one or two of them out to fuge or QT for a few days and let the tank reset . repeat with the other clowns and see what happens.

DaveK

It may be that the tangs are timid because of all the activity around the tank. I had one that would run for cover at the slightest movement outside the tank. I called it "Chicken of the Sea" because it was the largest fish in the tank, by far.

It also night help to use a plastic clip with some nori and place it out in the open. Hunger will usually get the tangs out feeding on it.