tampabay saltwater live rock

tomr33

I came across tampabaysaltwater when researching live rock/sand. I cannot find any bad reviews on their products. I was just wandering if anyone has bought "the package" as they calld it which is everything you need to get started. Has Anyone had any bad experiences with tbsaltwater.com?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I don't have any personal experience but in the time I've been on Reef Sanctuary (2 yrs this month), every time I hear someone talking about them, it's always positive. One of the things I hear is how much life they get on the rocks.

tomr33

Since I'm really new to saltwater tanks is about 430$ a good deal on 70lbs of LR 35lbs of LS along with 35 blue hermits, 18 astrea snails, 2 tiger tail cucumbers, 1 serpent star, and 1 peppermint shrimp? That sounds like a lot of stuff for a 35g tank? Is there some stuff I can leave out?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You get a lot of life but I've "heard" (no experience) that the rock is heavy and contains a lot of hitchikers. For your 35, what kind of equipment are you using? Better equipment can allow you to have less poundage. 70 pounds in a 35 ish a bunch

Mike Johnson

That sounds like a very inexpensive price to me.

One thing I'd consider before purchasing is: Do you want live rock and have to deal with the hitchhikers? Might not be real bad, but you may get things like Gorilla Crabs and Mantis Shrimp, etc.

I started my big tank with live rock which I had imported from Vanuatu. Took over a year to sort through the different hitchhikers. Many of them were very good hitchhikers, though. It's definitely a course in marine biology.

This is the reason lots of people use dry rock.

Personally I prefer live rock; and I'm not going to add any fish for about six months anyway. But it's a completely different type of tank than the norm.

If I was going to set up a tank that was going to be strictly a showcase coral tank I wouldn't use live rock.

Oh, 70 pounds of Atlantic/Caribbean rock is about 4 times less in size than say Vanuatu rock because it is much more dense.

tomr33

You get a lot of life but I've "heard" (no experience) that the rock is heavy and contains a lot of hitchikers. For your 35, what kind of equipment are you using? Better equipment can allow you to have less poundage. 70 pounds in a 35 ish a bunch

That is kinda what I thought also...I am going to buy a sea clear 40g system 2 with the built in wet/dry pump and probably going to add some sort of skimmer from what I have researched...its a must? I was thinking of ordering "the package" for a 30g.

And second post...I only plan on going with just fish and maybe an anemone after a while...I'm just starting out and corals look like a whole nother ball park

I'm new to the site and I really appreciate all the advice
I have a lot of noob questions sine I am noob lol

Mike Johnson

I bought a live rock that came from Haiti and that's where I got the Hermodice Carunculata (fireworm) and a couple Gorilla Crabs.

goldenmean

I have used TBSW Package for my 55g tank and When I redid my 12g nano I used them again.
I loved everything I got. Lots of hitchhikers. I was not scared off by the mantis shrimp. I got 3 of them with my big tank and another one with the nano.
I gave one mantis away with the 55 and let the other two live in the tank. I hand (stick) fed them. I had bot of them for over two years and one lived for 3 years. I still have the mantis in the nano. They are very cool creature and this species from the Gulf of Mexico is rather small. Less than 3 inches. I have been popped a couple of times when my hand was in the tank near their lairs. It startled me but did not hurt. 3 months after I redid my nano tank with TBSW I started to notice a bunch of little moving black specks. They turned out to be black long spine urchins. I had about a dozen of them. I did get a couple of gorilla crabs but I made a trap with a plastic water bottle and trapped them. The next time I set up a tank I will definitely use TBSW.

You can check out what I got in the links to my tanks in my signature

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
if you can afford to start it right, TBSW is a company i've never heard bad about. Yes, you'll be getting lots of life. Lots of hitchikers. Some good, some bad. But the thing that always amazed me was people reporting corals on their rock. If you plan to order Stuff from TBSW, make sure to have coral quality lights. I've always feared the hichikers too much to do it, but i plan a 125 next year which will be TBSW all the way. As for the NEM...if you are scared to keep corals, or dont have coral ready lights...stay away from Nems. They are high demand on both lights and water quality/stability. Steer clearn of nems till your tank is about 1 yr old with good stable params.

PS...Yes a skimmer is a very important piece of equipment. Dont shrug and vow to get it later....get it before the tank gets wet.

tomr33

So I picked up my LR from tbsaltwater...went to Richards house and picked it up myself to eliminate any shipping cost....I couldn't possibly be any happier with what I unpackaged the other day...if u want to see what I got go look at my thread in reef chronicles named my first 40g saltwater tank...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk now Free

StirCrayzy

I love hitchhikers, nothing more interesting than discovering new things daily.
I would try TBSW in a fresh tank setup, but wouldn't add their LR with valuable coral or fish that could become an unexpected meal for new HH'S.
Course I wish I had the budget to try them out in the first place.