Taking the nets off today! but theres a problem

Newjack

So its almost been a week since I strapped in my recordia! I think its about time to take the onion bag netting and rubber bands off!

So although I checked nitrates 2 days ago I decided to check them again. I mean when is the best time to do a WC when you have to go elbow deep in your tank anyways and try to remove rubber bands? When I tested my nitrates its all the way up to around 140ppm!!! I am only feeding once a day and only feeding what they eat in 5 mins! Nothing I can find is dead but yet I cant account for everything too. Anything that can mobile itself hides so well!

Note that the baby clown seems perfectly fine and eating. All my corals are completely open and my mushroom is splitting... It was a false alarm last time but this time it has 2 mouths.

Any suggestions!?!?!?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Start changing water to bring them down.

That's a pretty high number so I'd investigate a little further.

Newjack

well its an 8 gal system with probally only 6.5 gal in it with rock and everything else.. what % should I change and how often? I need to bring this down quick but I know I cant change to much to fast or it could be deadly. I had this problem before.. Also I noticed the layer just under the surface of the sand bed has turned a distinct red in most places and yellow in some. What could that be?

reefer gladness

When I see a number that far off the first thing I suspect is something wrong with the testing. I'd test again to be sure and if it comes out anywhere close to 140ppm I'd get someone else to test for me to verify my test kit isn't kaput.

Newjack

I mean I can take it to the LFS and have it doubled checked but I did that last week and it was the same as mine.... I don't think there is anything wrong with my test kit and I would prefer to assume its right rather than thinking its wrong and no danger...

I just did a 25% WC and took the net and rubber bands off the shroom. Of course it was not attached... Its in a spot that's not getting enough flow to blow it off the rock so im going to see if it will sit there by itself and stay.. If not I guess I will have to strap him back down. I hate that looks so bad.

DaveK

When you have nitrates that high you want to make large partial water changes, about 50%, so you'd change about 3 gal. You'll need to find out the source of your nitrates.

I'd say first check your new water for any nitrates, as that may be a source, if your not using RO/DI water. I also think that your way over feeding. You have a small fish, so it needs to be fed often, otherwise I'd tell you to cut back to feeding every other day, or every 3rd day.

Since you are going to need to feed everyday, make sure you rinse out any frozen food before use, and only feed dry foods part of the time. Dry foods can creae a lot of nitrates. Also make sure the fish is actually eating the food, and not getting sucked up by the filtration system. Sometimes you got to feed a little bit at a time.

As a note, you will need a bigger tank for the clown soon. It will quickly out grow your tank.