Taking on ideal water parameters and supplements for corals

rostervandross

I am getting to the point where the big things are starting to become second nature and the specifics are starting to click and I am starting to understand water parameters and coral skeleton components.

So I have a water quality test kit and a reef test kit for Ca Alk and Mg, which are all on point. I have a Ca and Alk 2 part supplement (B-ionic) and I have not had low Mg yet to buy a product. I have iodine but no iodine test kit. I do small water changes quite often with Red Sea or Instant Ocean reef salt.

I think this is all that is truly consequential, right? Would I be wasting money on reef "vitamins" and growth accellerator?

Apart from elemental coral requirements, organic coral food:

I am thinking of trying a filter feeder plankton food like nutricell or reef frenzy. Thoughts? What else do you all spot feed or supplement?

Basically, I am trying to start focusing on care of my corals just as I do my fish, which get fed all sorts of variety for a healthy balanced diet :bluetang: I feel like my corals may have all the elemental building blocks they need, but not enough energy from food to grow?

DaveK

Don't over think this. How the livestock is doing is a far better indication than any water testing. If your livestock is doing good, don't mess with the water parameters very much. Don't use additives such as iodine if you can't test for it. Too much can really cause a problem.

Many corals don't need much in the way of addition feeding. However, you need to check the individual species.Some can really benefit from feeding. Don't overdo the feeding, since it can easily lead to algae issues.

In my opinion, most of the vitamins growth, additives, and other supplements are a waste of money, but there may be rare cases where they might help.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My tank is almost 3 years running. I don't add anything on a regular basis. Maybe I'm just lucky :dunno:
I just do weekly water changes of a tad more than 10% water volume. I have always used RO-Di water & Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I feed my fish a variety of flake, frozen, & live worms for food. I only spot feed corals about once a week. :yummy:

My tank looks good & my corals are growing faster than I really want them to (running out of LR space).
I think DaveK is right on to tell you not to overthink & chase after water parameters & supplements. Especially this early on in your tanks life.
Using a good SW Reef salt & staying on track with your water changes should be enough for now.
Feed your fish & corals but at the same time try not to pollute your water with over feeding & using supplements that you do not need.
Here are some of my HAPPY CORALS & FISH :D
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
We can have a pretty tank without a degree in science, for that I'm thankful.
We fight algae, Aiptasia & bad hitchhikers of all kinds...that's tough enough!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Also want to add:
If you feel the need to focus on the best growth & health of your corals ..... the quality of your lights & water circulation (reef like flow) & good filter media would be in their best interest.
There are lots of high dollar supplements that IMO do nothing but empty your wallet & pollute your tank. I have been guilty of buying lots of them but I have never had the nerve to pour them into my tank.

rostervandross

Any other philosophies?

Right now I just test and supplement Ca , Alk , Mg and keep an eye on nitrate .

All is well except my macroalgae in the sump has died off making me wonder if I am missing something.

rostervandross

Here's a good site for reading on this and lots of other subjects

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

I was also thinking about what happens to all the undesirable elements in unfiltered water used to top up one's tank. For the last few weeks I had used maybe 20 gallons of primed/dechlor tap water until I got my RO system up and running this week.

Will my chemipure or carbon take care of those now that I am back on pure water?