Taking a break from saltwater for awhile

Talon33

Hey guys, I have not posted in forever. School and such has gotten pretty crazy. But this summer I decided to take a break from saltwater for awhile. It hurt tearing apart all my hard work and my tank was going good. The expenses were just adding up to much. Monthly salt, t5 bulb replacement was due, RO/DI filters and membranes were due and for a college kid it was too much. Plus I threw my set up together so fast there wasn't a lot of happy with. Also I am in and out all the time for a few days while at school and power has always been a concern as i do not have a generator ( we have good reliable power however) but I still wanted to get on here and follow everyone's progress and keep up to date on the hobby because I will be back into. I think DaveK told me to wait till i finished school and i gotta tell ya you were right haha.

But anyways since I will be browsing the forum I thought I would atleast keep you all updated on the switch to freshwater if anyone likes freshwater around here, if not oh well! lol
Still got the 125 and got a 55 gallon tank and built my own sump. Redid my stand. Redid all the plumbing with PVC, and working on getting it ready for fish. I will post pictures of my progress so far and updates as i go.

Snid

Better to do it right, so I commend you on your decision. ;)

I don't know what school you attend, but they may have some aquariums in various places where you could volunteer to help out and gain some knowledge for the time being. It might also give you a way to enjoy a salt water tank without the expense. ;)

Talon33

Thanks all. Like I said it was a rough decision but I gained a lot of knowledge on how to do it and my next set up will be much better. Better focus on grades now however so maybe I'll get a good job to fund my next saltwater tank. In my 4th year of biology pre-med studies and books costed me like 1200 this semester plus tuition so I could not keep up my tank like it should be. But letting my family feed my freshwater fish during the week and just doing a nice big water change on the weekend should keep the fish nice and happy. Just wanted to stay somewhat connected with the hobby and the progress of members tanks so I will be around! And of course putting some updates on the freshie tank.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks for the update and good luck with school (which is where your focus should be now!). Looking forward to seeing you back in the near future!