T5 actinics comparable to VHO actinics

frisbee

It's about that time where I need to replace my T5 actinics. (once a year) I've been using the Hagen Marine Glo bulbs for years on end with good results, but they just don't give the corals that "pop" I'm looking for. Just curious if there were any other brands out there that are somewhat similar to the VHO actinics? Thanks. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This is a very subjective question and you'll have trouble getting the same "Pop" as the VHO but with the right combination you can probably come close. The problem is different coral will "Pop" from different wavelengths so it's really tough to get the right combination that will make your Reds/Oranges pop while also making the yellow/greens pop too. Usually that comes from 2 different bulbs.

I am a HUGE fan of the KZ Figi Purple because it makes the Red/Orange of some coral pop like they are plugged into a wall outlet. Unfortunately it's been a while since I've dabble in the T5 arena so that's as much information as I can help you with. There are many on here who are still running T5's with great success and I'm confident they will chime in and give their bulb combinations.

How many bulbs are in your current set-up?

frisbee

There's just the two T5 actinics, (24 watt) in combination with a 175 watt SE MH bulb. (20K Hamilton) So far I've heard good things about the ATI Blue Plus bulbs, and the Giesemann Powerchrome Super Actinic bulbs, but wasn't sure if they'll provide the color I'm looking for. For the price & the performance, ($9.99 each) I might just stick with the Hagen Marine Glo bulbs, but was just thinking about trying something else. TY.

These new actinic bulbs will be run with a Hamilton 14K bulb at the end of the year btw.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
At just $9,99 each I'd try something new and get some variations. That's part of the beauty of T5's is being able to "Tweak" the colors bu just changing a bulb or two out. When I had my last T5 set-up (4 x 54W tubes) I always had a few extra bulbs because I was always trying to get that perfect combination.

If I were you and I wanted to not get the KZ bulb (it absolutely ROCKS) I would go with at least 1 each of

• ATI Blue Plus
  • Giesemann Powerchrome Super Actinic

and honestly I would get a pair each so you can mix/match a little bit. Have some fun with it you may be surprised at the color combination you come up with.