SW Newbie

Tha DJ

Hi all!

My name is Wade and I am emailing you from South Africa, I have spent some time on this site and find it very interesting and informative.

I have 1 question and wonder if anyone could advise me.

I am at the moment cycling a 24 gal JBJ nano cube. All it has in it is Coral Reef live sand and Aragonite as a sub strait. And RO water with Red sea salt mixture added.

My question is.. Is it better to have started this tank with Sea water rather than the way I have above ? as Im worried I will be missing essential trace elements that sea water contains. And will battle with my tank being only a 24 gal.

Your thoughts on this would be a great help, and any other info you can recommend I do as I don’t want to be throwing money down the drain. :smack:

I look forward to your favourable responses

Thanks all

Wade Lawrence

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Wade,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Most all tanks start with ro water mixed with salt... you should be fine... if I read your question correctly. Most all major salts brands contain the trace elements needed.

Tha DJ

Hi,

thank you for replying. I am glad to hear that All should be okay,

i was also told that I should not add any live rock untill 2 weeks have past. Is this a must ?

Val

Did they give a reason for not adding live rock? I've always added rock at setup.

Val

The only reason I can think they said not to add rock for two weeks is the zeovit method recommends soaking sand for two weeks to allow phophate removal but that is normally done with ro water not saltwater. That could be why they said to wait two weeks. I think you need to change water every few days to accomplish that.

Tha DJ

Yes, they said it will kill the bacteria that comes with the coral reef live sand & Aragonite sub strait.... which I dont quite understand why...

Val

Yes, they said it will kill the bacteria that comes with the coral reef live sand & Aragonite sub strait.... which I dont quite understand why...

hmmm, never heard that. I would think the die off from the live rock would feed that bacteria.

Tha DJ

yeah, same here, well i will give it a week and then add live rock. Am I able to add a banded coral shrimp at the same time ? or should i only add the rock ?

Val

I would let the rock cycle before adding any livestock. Then start adding your snails as algae appears. After the algae cycle is over I would think about the shrimp.

Tha DJ

Okay great! will do, any advice on what type of snails to get ? being in South africa ? or should just ask my local Pet shop ?,

Thanks again for all your help.

much appreciated!

Val

I like Reefcleaners for my snails but you may have to find something similar locally where you are. This is what he recommends for a similar size tank:

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Quick Crew (23 Hexagon)

20 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

6 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

9 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

5 Large & 4 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

Val

Wow,

That many in a 24 gal nano ?

Thanks will check my side which of these are available.

It seems like alot doesn't it? You should of seen my order for my 180g. I started out with less than recommended on my 75g thinking it was too much but got tired of scraping film algae and when I set up my 180g I ordered as recommended it does make a difference and I don't regret it. I only clean my glass about once a week compare to daily with fewer snails.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Wade!

Lots of good advice above. As said above, most start up with rock in the tank, rather than waiting 2 weeks.