SW Newbie here starting RSM Nano !

Crazy Bunny

All all the expert out there;

My name is Bunny, how do you do ? ;-)
I've recently bought a RSM Nano (Yay!!) and starting the cycle process with RS Reef Mature kit. Also bought a RS Marine test kit to test with.

I have start my cycle with dead corals crush on the bottom and dead rocks, 4 pieces of live rocks (Smallish one) and one little nemo fish & 1 bristle worm in there.

I am on day 5 of the program but it seems to me my ammonia level always at the lowest. 0.1ppm on 3rd day and 0.2ppm at 5th (Today).
Could be using much of the dead rocks hence i might miss the spike.

now I have read so many paragraphs here which included ReaSeaKev and staff from RS, they all said it will take longer then what the manual claimed.

I understand that fully. But my question is. In which day I should wait it out ?
I am on day 5 doing NOPOX but I have not see any green filamentous algae or any cyanobacteria or diatoms......

Should I stall on this period ? keep dosing NoPo-X until I see those algae show up ?
then move on Day 6 of the program ?

OR......

Keep going as what it said on the manual ?

Please advise cuz' I am little confuse on the terms of "Wait it out".

I have lots of patience and discipline but I want to know when I should spend it. LOL

Please help.
Thank you.
Bunny

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS !
Start a tank thread and share you tank with us !

I always cycled "old school" , added a deli shrimp (prawn) and let it rot...
Hopefully some members that have used the Red Sea Products to cycle a tank will advise...

Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

Crazy Bunny

Thank You NanoReefing4fun !!!

Believe me I had read this graph since day one I got my tank. ;-)
I totally understand this.

But the question came should I keep doing what the program claim, move on day 6 or stay what I been doing on Day 4 and 5 until I see those Cyano or diatom to bloom, then move to Day 6.

I am sorry cuz' I was trying to post this thread under Red Sea Max hopefully I can have some of their members can help me out.....
but seems I posted this on the main forum. lol..

I don't mind just wait it out, but am just not sure should I keep dosing or not.

Do you know anyone can point me to the right direction ?

Thank You as always.
Bunny.

DaveK

I am on day 5 of the program but it seems to me my ammonia level always at the lowest. 0.1ppm on 3rd day and 0.2ppm at 5th (Today).
... But my question is. In which day I should wait it out ? ...
I

When you are dealing with SW reef systems of any type, every set up is going to be a bit different. This means that there are no hard fast rules about how long a process will take to start up or a cycle to run it's course.

So what you do is to not move on to the next step until everything in the current step is complete.

Keep in mind that sometimes with the various diatom and algae initial cycles, a tank will skip or seem to skip that cycle entirely. If you wait a few days beyond the length of time expected for the cycle tp start, and it's not even started yet, it's often safe to assume the cycle has already occurred or it's not going to happen.

Crazy Bunny

Hi DaveK,

If you are here local I would buy you a beer ! :cheers:

Thank you for you information. I really like how you taught me the concept but not here do this & that cuz' just like what you said, every system is different.

For now I have a better idea on how i experience thing in my tank.:)

Bunny.