Susan's RMS Max C250

Susanedw

Okay , update time. Tank a few days away from 4 months old. All seems to be going well. Amm and nitrite back down to 0 but nitrates still around 20. Everything seems happy. I have one acro that lost its green color and is now turning brownish. The other o ne I bought that is next to it is thriving. Not sure what to do. Duncan has a new head and the colts are getting new branches. Time for me to epoxy them down. Still have some patches of hair algae. Hoping when nitrates go down a bit more that will abate. Same with a few patches of cyano on 2 rocks. Waiting before I dose again to see if it will take care of itself.

Ordered plants for my refugium. Need hubby to help me plumb two tanks together. He has to draw it out. We went to home depot and he couldn't figure out from what pieces I brought what I needed!

Okay something strange. We were looking at the tank tonight and I was pointing out the emeralds. I don't always see all of them often. Well, I had four. One died a few weeks ago so I removed it. That leaves 3. I counted 4 tonight! There is a little one that I have no idea where it came from. I did not use any live rock. Nothing put in that a tiny crab can come in on plus I soak all corals in dip. So it's either a baby or???? I even went back to check the dates I added the emeralds and sure enough. One from one source, 3 from another. 1 in the tank is huge, the other two are med and small. This new one is the smallest. Thoughts? He's in the first picture.

Here are some of my water pets. The only thing unhappy is one acro and my gbta which is still moving around, more in the open now, but I can't get food to stick. It gets bigger at night after the lights go off. Not sure if its because it has basically no tentacles? During the day it is shrunk, night it inflates . I try to put brine shrimp with turkey baster but nothing really sticks. Maybe the vitamins or garlic are keeping it alive. Bought a can of clams. Not sure i can use it.

Here's some updated pics. First is the little crab
20170411_203538_resized.jpg

8 heads now on the duncan
20170410_105302_resized_1.jpg

2 colts. Some new branches forming. Were part of one frag. Light pink broke off. Still need to glue another frag to it so I can put it standing straighter without a rock in front of it.
20170410_105309_resized.jpg

Acros. Taken with phone camera magnified 8 times! Nice extension in my opinion
20170410_161038_resized.jpg

Not so happy acro. in same conditions as other--pic isn't loading so will try later

Poly and zoa frag. I keep pulling the weeds.... But the polys are getting much bigger and happier
20170410_105322_resized.jpg

Tank view. Netting is so I can leave it open as I don't have a chiller yet. Netting on wavemakers for anemone
20170410_192615_resized.jpg

My gold head sleeper goby in front of the cavern. His burrow is at the base of the rock in the front there. View of poor gbta
20170411_204709_resized.jpg

Everyone playing nicely. The tang and goby are buddies most of the time. Clowns standoffish. That is their hosted corner.
20170411_204802_resized.jpg

mr_tap_water

Glad to see things are looking good,
Shame about the SPS turning brown And I would say that's to do with your No3 being at 20, and need to keep it around 2-5 for SPSs
that's why I would say it's best to stay clear of the Of them for a while. Also you should start testing for Phos as well if you want to keep SPSs in the future and aim for 0.01-0.03 if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanedw

@nanoreefing4fun No, it was a live, moving, eating tiny crab. A huge mystery

@mr_tap_water It's strange that the larger acros is doing fine, even better than when I got it. Is there anyway to bring the other back or is it gone. How to tell? I took out the gfs or r or whatever that is called--brain mush--to remove phos. Had some and put it back in. Now at zero so took it back out. Will retest today and add some prime for the nitrates. Ordered more of the nitrate remover from instant ocean. Working hard to get those back down to 5

mr_tap_water

Have to say it's coming together nicely and is a credit to yourself.[emoji846][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanedw

Hmm, wondering if that "dead" emerald I tossed out could have been just a molted shell? It was pretty good size so maybe my monster guy had molted as it does seem as though he is quite a bit bigger? I don't think I had a crab as tiny as this guy but maybe. All I know is I have 4 in my tank. Didn't look too close at the dead one I pulled out to see if it was just shell.

@mr_tap_water thanks. Yoou've been a grreat help in this learning process. Hope I can someday help others...

Susanedw

Wow, my display refugium plants arrived today! Wasn't expecting them until next week. I ordered more dry rock from marco rocks. Should be here Sat so plants are glued to rubble rock so I can move them around easily. Decided I didn't like the look of the tank, and some of the plants need higher up and more flow. Right now it is just a hob filter. Have 2 more wave makers coming or power heads--no adjustments. I think I only need one. Other can go in the main tank. Hopefully they'll do until I can get it up to speed. Need to get the plumbing figured out and the two tanks hooked up. have everything except that ready to go.
I have the following that I ordered on ebay from a company that doesn't mix fish or eels in their macro tanks so hopefull that there are no pests.
red gracilaria
Dark ocean coraline
red dragon
codium
razor
space moss
Razberry hollow.
Ordered 2 variety packs on ebay so I have double the red razo and dragons tongue20170412_183510_resized.jpg 20170412_183517_resized.jpg 20170412_183534_resized.jpg 20170412_183553_resized.jpg 20170412_183530_resized.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hmm, wondering if that "dead" emerald I tossed out could have been just a molted shell?

I remember the 1st time I saw my emerald crab molt, I was like bummer, I lost my emerald, when they molt, they go into hiding until their new shell hardens & then they re-appear.

Have since seen lots of post like this... the molt looks exactly like him. You will see this again... with all your crabs:crab4:

Susanedw

Today was play with tanks. I epoxied the colts and duncan. One colt did not hold. Will retry in a day or so. It's on a large rubble but it does shift around. Right now both colts are in total sulk mode... Duncan happy as a clam. The damn cyano is returning. Trying to get those nitrates down. Put some of my macroalgae ina soap/shower suction cup in the main tank to see if it would help.

Redid the rocks in the refugium. Much nicer looking. Placed the macro where I think they should go. Very difficult to find care and placement guides. Dragon Tongue at bottom to retain deep red color, Graciela top of rocks so it will grow faster. Will retain redder color lower. Codium likes flow. Rest I just put on top of rocks for now. As things grow, I can move them as they are on rubble rock. Next step to get tanks plumbed together.20170415_183720_resized.jpg 20170415_183732_001_resized.jpg 20170415_184123_resized.jpg

Susanedw

Have a new coral. Not sure what it is. A mushroom I believe. I meant to have the lfs write it down for me and forgot. And no one beat me up but I added a damsel to the refugium so there'd be some food for the good bacteria and something in there for me until I get pods. I need to see if this macro algae grows so pods have something besides rock so I'll wait on those for the algae to grow. Yes, I know a refugium is a refuge... But it's also a display so it's a combo refuge and second tank.... Besides, my rock work has all these cool caves and crevices that are perfect for a small fish... Can ya tell i'm hooked...
I should probably add a nassarius snail to clean up food the fish doesn't eat? Not sure if a hermit will attack the plants. There's not really any algae yet. Diatoms went away.

The mushroom polyps are already coming out. Should be very cool.
20170416_194601_resized.jpg 20170416_194652_resized.jpg

Susanedw

Got some no3-po4 x from red sea to try to get things back balanced out. Using less than half the dose as I don't want to get rid of all nitrate. I'm at the point where I'm going to have to redose chemi clean to keep the cyano from getting as bad as before. So will try this and keep an eye on the numbers. Also have some really bad hair algae. Going to be a few more weeks before the display refugium is hooked up. Put 3 frags of garciela in the main tank to see if that might help but they are pretty small (in a basket)

Susanedw

So I hit my 4 month birthday! 1 mo on the display refugium. All in all, not bad. Damsel didn't make it in the refugium. My ball of chaeto was in front of the spot it was hiding. not sure if it couldn't get out or not. I moved it to see if the fish was there and it was. Short while later, floating... Never really came out to explore the tank. Not sure why. Maybe too long in the bag to get home--2 hrs? Bummed. LIke damsels.

Main tank still battling high no3. Will do a complete test of everything tomorrow to see if I need to dose kent 2 part. Pretty sure I will as the alk drops fast. Ordered some mag as that is always low and have some separate alk as that is always low. Also started the nopox. No difference in 2 days. New coral above. Seems happy as it is extended and waving/fluttering in flow. Must like it or it'd retract. here is an update shot of the tank.

Main Tank RMS c250
Kole Tang (a fav)
gold head sleeper goby (fav)
scooter blenny (big fav esp when he flashes me),
bicolor blenny (nice personality)
2 osc. clowns
2 blue/green chromis
2 peppermints, assorted snails, 4 emeralds, and bunch of hermits.
8 head duncan (fav)
2 colts (fav)
xenia
green star polyp
zoa frag/polyp frag combo
2 acros
new gonipora (fav)
torch (Fav)
poor excuse for a gbta which you can see... Most of my fav. fish are hiding in cavern behind the scooter. Duncan is just coming back out. Went into hiding. Think my scooter blenny climbs on it...

Display Refugium --redid rocks, added a bunch more. Really like it now. Lots of macroalgae. Waiting to get plumbing done. Ordered a canister filter as it will be several weeks yet. Want to be sure the cycle is complete, and get nitrates in other tank down a bit. So new filter will help with refugium. HOB is pretty poor filtration...
20170418_205058_resized.jpg

Crowther

Have you thought about running a biopellet reactor? I am battling high nitrates as well and just plugged one in. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk