Susan's RMS Max C250

Susanedw

Don't think I ever shared my copepod station. Also trying phyto and hatch brine shrimp
I now have 2 gallon jars of copepods. Crashed that one so next time went with 2. Phyto in smaller containers now until I can build it up
20171116_180002-jpg.615131

Susanedw

I have a display refugium that never got plumbed to the main display. I had seeded it with pods. Hadn't checked on if there were any still in there in months--have a sand sifting goby and damsel in there. Sure enough, the live rock is loaded. I'll be using that rock for the sump for the new build--lots of dragon's breath macro, some colts and xenia. And the rock that has nothing on it will go into the main tank to help seed it. Sand will also go into the refugium. So I have a ready stock of pods for the new build.

Pat24601

I have a display refugium that never got plumbed to the main display. I had seeded it with pods. Hadn't checked on if there were any still in there in months--have a sand sifting goby and damsel in there. Sure enough, the live rock is loaded. I'll be using that rock for the sump for the new build--lots of dragon's breath macro, some colts and xenia. And the rock that has nothing on it will go into the main tank to help seed it. Sand will also go into the refugium. So I have a ready stock of pods for the new build.

That’s a nice find!

Susanedw

Rudely awakened by hubbie informing me that there was a lot of water on the floor of my office! Rushed in--carefully of course to see that the display refugium was spraying water out of the tank.Down about 7-8 gal as that is approx what I had to put back in!

cleaned up all water after shutting everything down. So glad my electronics and plugs are in a cabinet we just set up. Used an Ikea medicine cabinet. There were two other cords on the floor for other things so new rule: no plugs on floor. hang them up on wall! Wiped down the hanging lights. Hoping no water got inside the box

Figure the problem was the spray bar of the canister filter. Noticed when I went to bed, water level down just a bit. Decided it could wait until morning. lots of times it was lower before I topped off. Wrong move... I think the middle section of the spray bar somehow got turned toward back of tank and pointed up and it started just spraying water out which led to more as water level dropped. Ended up a big mess.

My hubby said it wasn't flooded when he got up--the noise of the powerheads alerted him. Water level has been lower without issue--a bit of spray toward front usually but never this fast or bad. Took spray bar out. Water can just return to tank. Pointed a powerhead up toward surface for oxygen exchange. Has a nice shimmer going so should be good. Only a sand sifter goby and damsel in there, along with some macros and colts and xenias.

Fish are now back out. Tank is a bit cooler--74 degrees. Hoping heater not damaged as it was on and exposed. Will watch it. Red light is on so hopefully...

Tank will be taken apart in a couple months and turned to a QT tank--it's a 39 gal tall tank. Rock and sand will go into the sump or in the new tank of my new build if no macro or corals on the rock and I think I'll take off the canister filter and order another aquaclear hob power filter. Have 2 others and like them. The one on the 20 gal hex might be okay but I may want to get a bigger, stronger one and keep the others as back up or if I decide to use 2.

Lessons learned:
--don't put off topping off
--keep all plugs/extension cords/electronics away from water and off floor in case of a flood...
--glad no carpet. Put down waterproof vinyl plank flooring
--Label cords in cabinet so I can quickly shut down, esp. if one hasn't had any coffee
So my day has started with an unpleasant bang...

Susanedw

Went to Sacramento for grandaughter's 3rd b'day party. Had no intention of hitting a fish store--none near me so Sac is one place I go--but dau asks if I want to follow her and her SO to one of the stores as we are leaving. What could I say but heck yeah. Still didn't plan to buy. So what did I do?

I bought....

Hubby really like a coco worm with a red head. Bought.
I saw some anthias, better prices than the other store I often hit (and don't have a lot of success with fish, and got MV from). So I got 2 dispar and 2 purple queens. Love anthias. Think I will plan on a bunch of them in the 125 build. So colorful.

Dispars are out. And eating. At least one of them was. I'll feed again before I go to bed when I do the sun corals. I wanted anthias thinking they'd use more of the tank water column. Other fish all hang in front left leaving reast of tank fishless So where are the two dispars? Front left....

Queens aren't out yet.

I did not qt them. Last batch I did, I lost 3 of 4 and I think it was my qt tank, though I did bring the fish from that other place. Happened right after a water change so might have been that. Don't know. I test the QT tank yesterday in case we went fish shopping and it had low ammonia. Yet it has not had any fish in it for weeks. So because I don't have a lot of money in fish, the 2 darwins are the most expensive, and some of the other fish had survived MV, I put them in the display. In a couple weeks or less, I'll be taking that qt tank down and switching to my display refugium which is a 39 gal tall tank for my qt tank for both tanks, although this one is probably pretty much done for fish unless I add another bangaii or blenny.

coco worm is out. I moved it to a lower flow--was being blown like a tree in the wind. Will add some phyto to tank tonight

Oh, see one queen out! In back, not front. Purple queens being shy and the coco worm just went back in. Will add more pics

Tank Fish
2 chromis
2 darwin clowns
1 scooter blenny
1 mandarin
1 bangaii
2 purple queen anthias
2 dispair anthias
1 coco worm

20180203_180428-jpg.666923

20180203_194035-jpg.666924

Susanedw

New tank is cycled. By Sunday i should be able to move the sand sifter and damsel to their new home, remove the rocks and sand to their new homes (sump and coral qt tank) and have the display refugium turned into a fish qt tank. In a week or so will order the first fish for new tank to qt. Prob. 3 lemon chromis and 2 more yellow tail damsels. Will go no sand as I have pods in there and don't want meds to kill them off. Part for the new coral qt tank (rs e170) should be here today so I can get that tank going maybe today or tomorrow. Going to use half old water from both older tanks so it is a bit seasoned. Coral qt will have rock with xenia and kenya trees from the DR so shouldn't need to really cycle. Have some "spare" frags in display for trading in at a lfs to put in there.

also thinking about moving the orange and blue mushrooms to new tank as I want to put something else where those are (front against rocks in little curve). Might try another goni or galexia but might be a bit too shaded.