Susan's Grand 125 Adventure

Pat24601

Sound approach Pat. I remember the pain it was to remove rock with corals when MV hit my tank. I'm planning to cement groups of rocks for easy removal and the bottom layer, again, in small groups to make removal managable. Then loose rock if I can higher for the ability to make small changes.

My sil has a 300 gal and a school of tangs. I love the way they move thru the water. And I see lots of folk who also have more than one. Of course, my system isn't nearly as big.

@Oxylebius I was considering this as well.

Looks like you are right. People definitely do schools of Yellow Tangs. Sounds cool. I’d definitely need to read more about it to talk intelligently about it.

I had been advised against aggression, but clearly people do schools.

Susanedw

Ordered Rock Today.
Marco Rock--25lbs plus 5 lbs key cut
Pukani--10lbs
5 lbs shelf rock
30lbs from reefcleaners
Total 75 lbs. I have prob. 40-50 between display fuge and QT coral tank which gives me 125. Might have to order more but we'll see.

Ordered 2 new durso overflow standpipes. Decided not to use old icky ones that came with tank.

Getting ready to order plumbing. Might see how much we have on hand to do test runs before order. Hubby will be my plumber for sure! But I'd like to look like I know what I'm doing....

Notes on diagram:
Sump will go closer to left side (don't want to redo all bits)
Drain and return lines in overflow need to be reversed (don't want to redo)

1-- Should I split 1 drain to the sock & to refugium or leave it all to drain to the skimmer section
If yes, use a gate valve to control flow to fuge? See purple T into fuge
2-- Enough unions? Do I need them all?

Am I forgetting anything? Plan to use true union balls. Do I need to set up a manifold with 3 or just maybe 2 and add more later if needed?

Manifold is in the middle of the split return to tank. Does it need to be separate--a separate T from return pump

Right now, only planning on using 1 ball valve to do water changes.
125 tank 3.jpg

Susanedw

Okay, time for an update. Not much progress over the last weekend. Removed sump from stand--if it was even an 1/8 inch bigger, we might not be able to get it in and out! Took us a while to figure out how we got it in! Had to take one door off to do so and have the angle just right.

Didn't get top of stand drilled for plumbing. Hubby had to work Sat. and on Sun. get ready for a major project at work--a site survey and that meant rain gear and such as it is all day outside no matter the weather.

Tomorrow I will paint the inside of stand with marine black. The stand is painted but this will be extra protection. Plus I'll paint the one board that is cut for the electrical cabinet inside. Other board not yet cut. This will be the slowest build ever...

The boot mat I bought to go under the sump fits exactly. And I mean exact! If either item had been even a hair bigger or smaller, it would not have fit! I like this mat. It even came with a rubber grid if I wanted the sump to sit on it but that would probably just collect water and end up stinking. I like that it is 2 inch deep so will be a good water catcher.

Marco rock and pukani should be here Monday and Wed. Rock from reef cleaners on Thur. So I will get to at least play

20180114_153939-jpg.652089

This is an ongoing update.... I was both excited and disappointed with the pukani. 10 lbs pukani plus 5 lbs shelf. Pukani was a tad less than 10. I was disappointed as the 2 pieces were solid and not full of holes and crevices like the others i had ordered previously. I ordered another 15 and asked for better rock. So i sat and stared at my 2 pieces and have to say, I was pathetic... Ya just can't do much with 2 pieces... The shelf rock was nice but ya can't do much with just some shelf either. Wahhhh! I wanna play! And create! And feel like my build is progressing <g>

Got 25 lbs Marco rock today (4 pcs) and 5 lbs prime cuts--2 pcs. Here is my "play time". Have more coming Thur, Frid and Tue. But couldn't resist playing around. I might try to make that disappointing pc of pukani into a central island as a show piece. It's almost an arrowhead shape. Thinking green star polyps with something on top (add a shelf or another rock) that won't be bothered by gsp. Maybe an unbrella leather?

Remember, this is just me playing with my new toys.... I'll prob. go taller on the rocks but will also see what I can make when the rest of rock is here. Rocks need washing but if I like something, I'll cement and wash after in sections. Plan to use colored zips with number labes so I know what goes with what rock and also sharpie markers to mark where one group joins another. Last time, I ended up with something completely different as I couldn't remember how each piece went

Looks like I might have my sump--one I got with tank that I can't use sold--at least have someone interested. And am selling a wall mount mat cutter which means I can buy my next batch of stuff sooner! Yippee

Pukani and shelf from brs--2 pcs plus shelf rock
20180115_231431-jpg.653030

My play time
View attachment 654589
Pukani centerpiece maybe
View attachment 654590

Pat24601

Cool!

You might be heading down my typically path of ending up with way more rock than I need to get pieces I want. :)

Susanedw

lol's. I ordered a total of 130 lbs which I figure is about Minimum for 125 gal. I am not a minimilst scaper. I will have prob. 20-30 live rock from my display refugium to use. Most will go to the sump. A lot of that rock has colts growing like weeds and some xenia. those might go into the qt/grow out coral tank (Rs e170 I think) and the stuff with dragon's breath maco on it will go into sump. Hoping there are some pieces to put in the tank itself to help seed things. Should be lots of pods too.

Hope I don't have to order more...

Have to figure out if it should go in before the tank cycles or after. Don't want to kill pods but want the rock planned where it all goes. Also plan to use some tank water when I fill--maybe 20 gal that I save from like 2 water changes (air stone and heater used).

Susanedw

ugh. images above didn't post. I have to do copy and paste as they are too big to upload.

I am thinking of having taking that arrowhead shaped pukani and making it an island by itself. Put gsp on it and maybe a leather on the shelf on top, like a tree with wavy grass below. I don't think the gsp and the leather grows upward, so might play nice together. . take it a while. Might even put cloves on top of shelf with a leather. Start gsp in the middle, cloves on top--the palm tree ones--and then a nice big leather. What do you think
20180117_190548-jpg.654590

saintsreturn

Excited to see all this progress! I am crazy fortunate to have an awesome LFS with great rock to sort through. I literally stood out back and built my scape before buying a single piece.

Keep the updates and photos coming and enjoy the time it is taking you [emoji2] it will be very worth it in the end

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Susanedw

So, today I got my 30 lbs reef cleaner rock. More playtime! Nothing to say "wow". In fact, more of a eh. Prob. remove the middle bits. Still have one side to do. course, whole thing will prob come down and be redone... Wishing I had a wider tank now, as 18, with twin overflows, means I'm stuck with more of a wall of rock than the more terraced look I wanted. I have some terraces. There are a couple pieces, left side I will keep together and cement before I wash them. Also get another 15-20 pukani and the bulk heads tomorrow. Needed slip x slip. Tue another 40 lbs from amazon

House smells like paint.... ugh More painting

Susanedw

Now I'm getting somewhere! The pukani I got today was nice pukani--one rock mostly solid but the rest were prime so I'm pleased. The 40 coming next week I won't need all but that's fine as I can have some back up. I have plenty for the sump in use to xfer over. When that last batch gets here I can really play. Right now the back corners are rock free. Not sure if I want rock to take some of that space or not. Might make note of a couple of pieces and hose rocks off and toss them all into a brute can this weekend to soak--just outside tap water and no heater--just to get dust and loose bits off

Am hopeful that we will get tank onto stand this weekend!
20180119_173704-jpg.655881

20180119_173814-jpg.655882

Susanedw

Received my last batch of rocks today from amazon. Nice pieces! So here is an arrangement. My goal was for lots of terraces to step corals up. Tank is only 18 wide with 2 overflows so this was a challenge. Also aimed for lots of crevices, swim thrus etc. A few bigger ones for tangs. Will have 2 " clear all around and trying for 3" in front. Center pc will have gsp and palm cloves with a leather or other show piece on top. Thinking of drilling a hole in center for a swim thru

Tried to follow flow of returns as well. Was a bit frustrating with the limitations. What do you think?
20180125_005342-jpg.659243

Susanedw

PROGRESS!!! And OH--MY--GOD.....

Stand drilled for the tank and sump mat and sump put back into the stand. Next came the task of putting the tank onto the stand. This was the fun <not> part. It was to heavy for the 2 of us to lift and I couldn't have lifted it as high as it needed to go, so I tried calling friends. No answer. Kids are 1 and 2 hrs away. No help there. Suggested I ask a couple neighbors. Hubby, being a typical man, said no. He could do it with his cherry picker. Me: No way. That makes me too nervous. Him: It's fine. I know just what to do.

Did I believe him? Yeah, he's an engineer but holy cr** my heart was in my throat.

Step 1: dig the dang thing out of the ched and get it into house
Step 2: get it down the step into the living room
Step 3: put tank back on the dollys AND lift each end to put 2 2x4's cut to size. This so the legs of the CP'er could slide under.
Step 4: Go to home depot for a cheap pc of plywood
Step 5: Cut and make notches for the strap tie down he plans to use
Step 6: Hook it up and start cranking
Step 7: Me: keep tank from swinging and smacking into stand.
Step 8: Get it high enough. Put the 2x4's, double stacked (2 per side) onto the stand to lower the stand onto (to get the straps out after tank down)
Step 9: Him: "Oh no, I just thought of something horrible! The feet of the cherry picker will keep us from lowering tank onto the stand.
Step 10: Me: Well move the stand as close as we can
Step 11: Him: "Okay, push your endas I lower until you're on the 2x4's. Got my corner on the stand
Step 12: He shoves his corner over as he lowers SLOWLY.
Repeat step 12 until tank is on the 2x4's
Step 13: Lower completely, remove strapping/tie downs
Step 14: Remove 1 2x4 on one side
Step 15: Remove both 2x4's on other side--get your fingers out!!!! (me to him)
Step 16: Remove last 2x4--him lifting, me yanking out
Voila! Tank now on stand!

Let the plumbing act commence....

This week I'll clean tank as best as I can. Maybe try to fill with hose to test for leaks and organize plumbing . Maybe get some plain white to do some trial runs.

Pics of today's little show.

Getting set up. Ignore trashed living room.... Hmmm, going to have to figure way to keep sun off tank...
20180128_151152-jpg.662837

Lift off
20180128_153214-jpg.662840

Ta da!
20180128_154325-jpg.662841

Susanedw

another pic of stand and tank set up
20180128_154424-jpg.662843

sump and boot mat to one side and a separate electrical side. Oops forgot to paint the edge... Tomorrow....
20180128_154920-jpg.662845

ready to clean up and get plumbing started. Another week or 2 before rocks and sand
20180128_154952-jpg.662847

Susanedw

Woo Hoo!!! Plumbing nearly complete!!!!
Leak test: In progress!!!!

Great progress today. Drain line plumbing done. One side has temp. fittings as I didn't order any blue 90 degree elbows, just 45's. To fit, we need 2 blue 90's. So just have to get those changed out. Return line also done except down to the pump--will have pump next weekend. Need some flexible tubing to go from pump to pvc. Or just hard plumb it with a union. Also have to finish the manifold. Husband is running it behind the return line pvc. It'll point down I think. Hubby is in charge of plumbing....

Also filled the tank just before the weirs. Will let it sit overnight and drain tomorrow. Used reg. tap water. No leaks. Will also see with the sunlight if the tank is clear with that white cloudiness. Will drain tomorrow and start moving my rocks inside. And order pumps and powerheads and sand. Order all ready to go. Just hit buy! Prob. Wed. or Thur. to get a sat delivery. Next weekend, finish plumbing and get electrical side done. Pieces all done and painted except a bottom back pc if we add it. Looks like I'm ahead of cycle time--well before my birthday end of month and a month earlier than I'd planned.

So my thoughts on buying used: Not as good as I'd hoped. Paid 450.
1) I didn't realize the stand was 4 foot tall until we got there to check it out. For a short person, no good. plus had more water damage than I wanted to deal with. So to the dump. Kept the canopy.
1a) Canopy--jury still out. Needs some work. No top so can't mount lights inside and would have another 5 inches of reaching. Prob. will not keep and get one that opens in front and can mount lights inside.
2) Sump it came with was a DIY. I'd have had to removed all baffles and do a redo. But worse, too wide to fit the stand I ordered. And too tall. Unable to remove skimmer. Sold for 40 bucks on craigslist
3) Skimmer so far seems good. It came with set up
4) Tank itself. Don't mind it looking used--bracings are all scratched. That's livable. We'll eventually put a canopy on it. Maybe not the one that came with it. But the cloudiness of glass bothers me. Can't seem to clean off. Tried all combos of vinegar/baking soda/bartenders friend/catsup/salt/pepsi--haven't tried coke yet. Will see how it looks in daylight with water in the tank. Also, the silicone seals are ragged. Still good sealing but doesn't look as nice.

So my plan: Give it a year or so. If I am not happy, two choices: replace with another tank exactly the same and just do a switch. With planning, shouldn't be too bad. Plumbing and stand remains the same. Choice 2: upgrade to a slightly larger tank. New tank, new stand, maybe same sump or maybe new. But for now, am committed to this one for at least a year if not 2.

Susanedw

ugh. Sometimes I hate this site!! Sometimes images I copy and paste show up--like all the rest in this thread--and other times they won't show up. Taken with same camera phone, same copy image command... I do not have time to edit pics to upload. Or to email the same images that work fine on my "other" site at a lower resolution. Usually can cut and paste. If the owners here want to encourage sharing, they need to be more user friendly.... Will try tomorrow. Really had wanted to share my progress. Deleted 3-4 posts as they took out the images