surface skimming

webbie

Hi ,bought a preloved RSM 130 d two weeks ago ,it has now been cleaned, its filled with salt water, temp up ,live rock going in this weekend ,trying to get my head round the surface skimmer, what are the pro,s and con,s ,seen loads of RSM 130 owners where the skimmer cup is removed any thoughts ?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hmmm not sure I've ever heard of removing the cup....The cup is needed so the bubbles that break at the top and overflow into the cup removing the dissolved organics from the tank.

SnoopNL

The cup or the cover of the top?
If you mean the cover, as I saw in my old sera nano tank it would cause bubbles to break or the air holes would fill up with bubbles due to the little available room.

A buddy of mine has an rsm, I'll ask him tomorrow if it is still required.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
1285624662294-1052112695.jpeg

try this, point one of your circulation nozzles up & right causing a surface ripple

raise the surface skimmer cup to 1/4" from it's top position

raise your water level to near the top mark in the water level window (back left side) adding sw, this will have your water level near the hood arm trays (the ones with little drain holes)

this will be near optimal for surface skimming & for the stock skimmer to function

hope this helps ... this is how many run the RSM 130D models & the above tips are directed at the 130D models

Last edited:

webbie

Its not the cup of the protein skimmer that is in question, its the overflow box that does the surface skimming ,thanks for the pic Nanoreefing4fun,seen so many 130 d set ups on this site with the overflow cup removed ,wondered what the pro,s & con,s were, sorry for any confusion, also running a tunze 9002 skimmer instead of the stock skimmer opinions?

webbie

Appreciate that nanoreefing4fun,its just that I have seen so many pics of RSM 130 d,s with it removed just wondered what the thinking was

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would guess only 5% have them removed...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../37227-red-sea-max-full-tank-shot-photos.html

Remember (or you might not know) the original RSM 130 did not have them... so pics of 130 tanks look like they are removed, when the D (deluxe) came out, many upgraded to them & they have always had great reviews & do much improve surface skimming over the 130 model. A few consider them bulky & have removed them from the 130D tanks, but it's a small % from my observations & the threads & pics I have read in the club - hope this helps :)

see what others think...

webbie

I did wonder why so many 130 d owners had removed the skimmer cup, now I realise as you say they are pictures of 130,s pre skimmer cup,many thanks for answering that ,

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've ran my current RSM130D with and withOUT the "Surface Skimmer" (SS) inside the tank. I can tell you from first hand experience (at least in how I have my system set-up) that it is needed. Without the Surface Skimmer you do not get the best water to gas air exchange because inevitably a surface film develops. Yes I know you can use one of hte nozzles to aggitate the water but if you watch very closely you'll see the surface film is still there because it's never being removed from the tank. Also as the surface film increases your light penetration is dramatically decreased. In some tanks this isn't a problem but most of us want as many PHOTONS striking the corals surface as is possible.

The SS creates a "Water Fall" that pulls the "goop" from the water's surface and delivers it to the filter media and the Protein Skimmer. These two items work to remove many many MANY items from the water column making your life easier without you even realizing it.

Allen's Pros/Cons

Pros:

Removes surface film
Increases water turbulance helping water to air gas exchange

Cons:
Bulky and just not pretty
Makes it slightly more difficult to keep the intake grate CLEAN
Slightly complicates the water level system until you get the hang of how each component works and why.

I HIGHLY suggest retaining the SS. Keep in mind many have gone without it and have reported no drastic ill results but also keep in mind that few come back and say, "Yea I did the opposite of what you suggested and you were RIGHT... I was wrong......."

Also remember that ever system is unique and what works in one system may not work in another seemingly identical system. That's part of the FUN (aka frustration) of this hobby :) We affectionately state this by saying "Your Mileage May Vary" or YMMV for short.

webbie

Thanks for that info bigAl, I,m going to run it with the surface skimmer,your third point in the cons list,complicating the water level ,is the part I am a bit worried about,trial and error I suppose,one thing I have noticed tho ,the ss seems very buoyant and is easily moved ,seen some members keeping a bit of rubble in it to give it a bit of weight,also I have seen some with a small amount of chaeto in it ,thoughts?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've never had a problem with bouyancy in my SS. I'm not a fan of putting "stuff" in that section because once again you're messing with "flow" and Cheato has a way of getting into every knook and cranny and will slip through the intake grate. In time this could cause serious flow problems and even a back-up in the DT which could lead to water in your floor if it goes unchecked.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
BigAl, your views are much appreciated, and make good sense ,thanks

Thanks for your kind words but keep in mind they are just that... MY views and I've been known to be wrong more often than I care to admit. All I know for sure is how my system works best and that's the information I pass along. FWIW I set my RSM130D up and used Chaeto in the SS cup. I was in a bind and trying to PUSH the system to get it cycled and ready as quickly as possible. The idea was horrible and I lost a lot of coral and fish and the Chaeto was growing into and out of the intake grate and was a total pain in the tail to get completely out of my system. The CHAETO in no way contributed to the system crashing but it also didn't keep it from crashing which I had thought it would.