Sumps

djpensive

Guys I'm planning a build on a 54 gallon corner tanks, I want to get everything right the first time on this build and I'm building a custom stand because I want to and can. But I'm in the planning stages and am wondering if there is a rule of thumb on the size of a sump. I'm planning on bringing my tank to a LFS that drills tanks this weekend so I want to have a plan for the sump so that I know what size holes I should have drilled and whatnot.

I always feel like bigger is better when it comes to filtration but this is my first go at a reef tank and I don't want to rush into slapping together what I want to be the centerpiece of my living-room. I'm sure the guys at the LFS will have some thoughts and opinions but I want to get involved in this forum because you'll all be a great resource going forward.

Thanks!

Squatch XXL

I had looked at and even fantasized about corner tanks....The sump aspect concerned me.

You should have the largest vessel you can keep under it. I am a cheap reefer, and use fish tanks that I glue partitions into. I have also used heavy duty plastic totes (PP5 plastic is food grade). You need areas for all the equipment that you desire.

Size is dependent on desire......First and foremost it needs to be able to contain all of the water that will drain from your tank in a power failure or pump shut off. Second consideration is that it is large enough to have all of your planned equipment. This is the hard part to plan for. You never know how much junk you will want to cram into a sump until a year or 2 down the road and you run out of space.

Plan on the basics at first, and install unions & shutoffs into your plumbing so that you could remove the sump and modify or upgrade easier.

generally however, a sump will take 25-50% of your total tank volume. I am using a 30 gallon tote on a 90 gallon tank. I also use a 20 gallon sump on a 40 gallon tank. It varies.

DaveK

Corner tanks look really nice, but they do have some possible issues you should consider.

It's very difficult to get a sump of any size in the stand for a corner tank. If possible consider placing the sump more or less on the floor to one side or behind the tank. You'lll be able to use a decent size sump that way.

Corner tanks can also be difficult to light evenly. You may need several fixtures to get an even light across the entire tank.

As long as your are aware about what your getting in to, you do fine with a corner tank.

djpensive

Thanks for all of your feedback. I too, am concerned about situating a sump under the corner tank with the lack of space/layout of the stand. I am thinking of potentially building my own smaller corner tank to use as a sump so that it sits nicely underneath the stand. I'l headed over to the metal fab shop today to go over some possible designs for the stand. I will definitely be taking the sump into consideration here.

Once I have the stand all done being built I'll start a tank thread so I can pick your brains some more.

DaveK

... I am thinking of potentially building my own smaller corner tank to use as a sump so that it sits nicely underneath the stand. ...

Think about this carefully. Corner tanks are a lot more difficult to construct, because the corners need to be beveled so you get a tight fit. This needs to be "just right". A rectangular tank, has a certain "fudge factor" built in because the class overlap cab be slightly off, and you'll still get a good seal.

cracker

All good info , dj, consider Your 1st design will be good but You will want to change/tweak it in the future.

djpensive

Think about this carefully. Corner tanks are a lot more difficult to construct, because the corners need to be beveled so you get a tight fit. This needs to be "just right". A rectangular tank, has a certain "fudge factor" built in because the class overlap cab be slightly off, and you'll still get a good seal.
I decided to take the easy way/or the cleaner way out and buy one that fit within the space I was working in!
IMG_0975.JPG