Substrate: Fine Sand or Crushed coral/ seashell

Talon33

What substrate does everyone prefer...i have a white fine sand mixed with crushed seashells with some black gravel mixed in...Anyone ever used this before, if so how did you like it...may just add another inch of white fine sand on top not sure yet, hopefully everyone's input will help me!

reefer gladness

Most people who have used the fine grade aragonite regretted it, count me among them. If the grains are too small the sand gets blown around by the powerheads. Crushed coral isn't recommended for a different reason, normal sand has rounded edges while the crushed coral has jagged edges that tend to trap detritus more and become nitrate traps.

The stuff many of us have switched to is the special grade reef sand: CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand

degibson84

special reef grade is the best. it is big enough not to make a sand storm and small enough not to trap detritus in

Talon33

well who knew, i figured it was the sandstorm or the crushed coral nailbed as my two options and neither sounded appealing. I will try some this product, thanks you guys always get it right

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I noticed that the Special Reef Grade said it is formulated for deep sand bed. Mine is less than two inches and I have fine sand. I was thinking about vacuuming it out and replacing it. I still want to keep a shallow sand bed. Would this work well for that too?#

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

saltfan

I dont believe crushed coral is ideal for the aquarium due to its size. Tend to trap deitris, dont think thats spelled right.

Mike Johnson

I noticed that the Special Reef Grade said it is formulated for deep sand bed. Mine is less than two inches and I have fine sand. I was thinking about vacuuming it out and replacing it. I still want to keep a shallow sand bed. Would this work well for that too?#

Yes, suited for DSB means it's fine enough to go approx. 4". You'd need say 8" or more of crushed coral for a DSB, so there will anaerobic zones.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Yes, suited for DSB means it's fine enough to go approx. 4". You'd need say 8" or more of crushed coral for a DSB, so there will anaerobic zones.

I don't have four inches either. Maybe two. I almost went bare bottom. This was kind of a compromise.
Since this sand was made for deeper sand beds than I have, if this would work well.

monkeybone31601

I have fine sand in my 220 and haven't had any problems and it looks more natural than the crushed coral thats in my 75 gallon. The crushed coral seems to trap more detritus also.

I have crushed coral .. I wish I would have went with a dsb personally. I don't really have any issues with nitrates although i have alot of macroalgae down there growing like crazy(Caulerpa and chaeto) and that's probably whats been helping. ^^ It's going to be fun when I change the substrate here soon. Anyone have any suggestions for whenever i do that let me know ^^

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have crushed coral .. I wish I would have went with a dsb personally. I don't really have any issues with nitrates although i have alot of macroalgae down there growing like crazy(Caulerpa and chaeto) and that's probably whats been helping. ^^ It's going to be fun when I change the substrate here soon. Anyone have any suggestions for whenever i do that let me know ^^

Do it slowly over a period of time. When you do a water change, take out some the crushed coral and replace it with you sand of choice. Many here use the CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7326