Sub floors & preparing for your new aquarium

jfourn

i am wanting to put a 155 bowfront on the first floor of my house. after reading these posts i wanted to ask for advice on what to do? it will be on a outter wall with a basement under it

dent

I'm also inquiring about a tank on the upper floor. I have a 90Gal, going to sit "the bad way" on 2x8 joists. Visualize the layout: outer wall, in 1 ft, tank edge to tank edge, 7 ft to I beam. I'm planning on re-enforcing with 3/4" plywood for vertical stress and another 2x8 for why? I was told to do it... No idea.

Here's a picture of what I'm thinking. I was told to make sure the plywood is same height as 2x8, do 2 layers offset. That it overhangs the outer wall and I-beam for support. Use lots of glue and screws/nails then clamp, let fully dry before applying weight to it.

What would you recommend?
16624d1254931992-dents-90g-build-floor.jpg

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
My 90g just got retired due to a cracked top which was caused by shifting floor beams of 2 X 12. The middle beam or two sagged about half and inch and pushed the top of the tank into the wall, which caused the tank to slowly warp, and then crack.