Strontium, Iodine, Silica, Boron, ORP

Fishdad1

Anyone monitor, dose or concern themselves in anyway with these parameters? This ReefKeeping article does a great job of explaining them, just curious how many here actually test or dose.

Mike Johnson

Nope, regular water changes go a long way. ORP I have studied intensively and it is very relative. Unless you have expensive testing equipment you can't get an accurate reading and in the long run it doesn't matter much. Wow, just read the article. I'm surprised that Randy Holmes-Farley didn't go into scientific jargon about it.

Wolffman64

I don't really test for either of them, but at least the first two are taken care of with the water changes and my dosing of the Red Sea Colour A-D

Fishdad1

I recently tested for Iodine and silica and got favorable results. I think Seachem salt adds extra boron to their batches if I remember correctly.

Mr.Reeefer

I add iodine and strontium weekly, ever since I have had corals I have added weekly sometimes twice a week as directed by my LFS, so I wouldn't know how my corals would be without it, but they do great with it.....

forestal

I got the strontium test kit and I have yet to do it - flashbacks of college chem lab as it complex :) - I am always hesitant to dose what I am not testing for

Fishdad1

Actually from my experience Seachem makes the simplest kits available. I tend to favor Red Sea for accuracy.