Straycat's Red Sea Max 130D

steved13

PREMIUM
Re: Red Sea 130 D

Hi all
just started up a 130 D put live sand & live rock.
any advise most welcome
cheers
mick

Go slow, be patient, ask questions when needed. It's kind of like painting the better the prep (cycling, setup, etc.) the better the outcome.

Most important...Find the RSM club on reef sanctuary...oops never mind you did that one already. :)

steved13

PREMIUM

We almost forgot.

More really good advice...post lots of pictures.

Stody0

Go slow, be patient, ask questions when needed. It's kind of like painting the better the prep (cycling, setup, etc.) the better the outcome.

Most important...Find the RSM club on reef sanctuary...oops never mind you did that one already. :)

Welcome and +1

Lots of help on this forum, has been of great help to me

Regards

Al

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Any and all questions! There's no such thing as a dumb question - the only way you'll get answers is to ask. :)

redsea reefer

The first piece of advice I can give you right now is ditch the RSM heater in favor of another brand. They are known to have problems....

straycat

Just a quick one regarding the skimmer.
some times if i got the air up to much i get water in the cup 1/2 full.
do i discared this or pour back into the tank?.
if i discared it will my salt levels drop. ?
cheers
mick

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's a high tech Fluval!

If what's in the skimmer cup looks like clear colorless water you can dump it back in the tank.

If the stuff is tea colored or nasty looking then you should discard it.

If you discard it and make up for the water loss with RO/DI water (non-SW) yes - your salinity will drop over time by doing this, but it's also unavoidable with a skimmer. The salinity won't drop much at all initially, but over time (weeks probably) you may see a drop in salinity and can make up for it by increasing the salinity a bit of your water change water.

Remember - if you make up for evaporation, use RO/DI water - adding SW to make up for evaporated water will cause your salinity to gradually increase. What evaporates is water only - salt won't evaporate.