Stray Voltage

JoeG

http://www.farmertodd.com/library/rkessentials/electricity.asp

I wanted to share this link with everyone.

I had set up a 60 gallon fish only tank a few months ago, let it run through its cycle and added a couple chromis. After the water tests started testing A-OK and all looked well I added a couple fish. Life was good. After about a week I noticed the fish were acting strange and not eating well. I tested the water again and everything was good. By the end of the second week I lost all fish.

I even took a water sample to the LFS to confirm my tests were accurate. Tried a couple more Chromis and 2 weeks later same result. after a lot of research I found this article on stray voltage. It made sense and the symptoms matched up. I had a friend come over with a voltage meter and sure enough there was 25 volts running through the tank.

Through process of elimination, unplugging everything and plugging them back in one by one, when i reached my power head i had found the culprit.
I removed and replace the power head added a couple more chromis and after 4 weeks the chromis are doing fine and eating well.

Anyway I just wanted to share this with you all in the event you have fish or corals that are mysteriously dying off and you don't know why. Check for stray voltage!

StirCrayzy

I had 50 volts in mine. All fish were fine, but snails were dyin for no reason.
I havent tracked the culprit, but after adding a grounding probe (highly recommend )I am down to .2 volts.
Feels good to find the cause though, right.

carlfike

I don't think i'd run a system without some kind of grounding probe. could you imagine how much it would suck to stick your hand in your tank and get nailed but 120v?

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
carlfike said:
I don't think i'd run a system without some kind of grounding probe. could you imagine how much it would suck to stick your hand in your tank and get nailed but 120v?

Heaters are notoriously bad about inflicting this...

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

DaveK

I agree with the previous posts.

IMO, if you do get a reading on more than a volt or two, it should be tracked down. It's is most often a piece of equipment that is shorting out to the tank. I've had power cords on heaters and power heads crack and be an issuse. ALso, water getting into a heater, or the electrical part of a powerhead. From time to time, check all that stuff carefully. The life you save may be your own.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Blue Space said:
I couldn't resistor Matt! lol :D Obviously, I'm nowhere close to being as witty as Sas but then again few are.

On the other side of that coin I had a teacher that used to harp on the old "better to be silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." Then again, she usually directed those comments at me... Lol.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

brandon

LOL funny story a week after setting up my frag tank I went to add a couple of new corals and as soon as I stuck my hand in the tank I pulled it right back out. I said ethics was that. So I stuck my hand in again and same thing a very weird strong tingle in my fingers almost painful. Being the ass that I am I. Called my gf over, grabbed her hand and stuck my hand in the tank and let the shock run through me and into her. She didn't know what happened at first them laughed once she figured it out. Grabbed my. Voltage meter and bam 119 volts. Damn oddysea power head was my culprit. It was brand new.