strange thing in my squamosa

olgalit

Hello there.
I have maxima clam - it is not big and not to small. Today It is sudenly started to gape. When I looked closer I noticed some kind of shrimp inside of it! It is small - looks transperent but have many blue dots on its body. It is sitting right inside the clam and it hides really really fast inside of clam if i am trying to get it somehow...
Besides the gapping "mouth" the clam looks as happy as ever. Is there any shrimps that actually living in simbiosis with clams like that? I tried to take pic but the shrimp hiding to fast

Last edited:

Joeys Tank

Hmmm.

Try doing some research on Periclimenes shrimp. They have symbiotic relationships with larger animals to include clams. Your description of the shrimp made me think of ...

olgalit

thanks it looks somewhat like that but have much more blue dots on it. I managed to do some reserch and found that it is probably from Palaemondidae family - looks very much like pedersoni shrimp from what i can see, but these usually live on anemone. I belive it was in there when i got the clam so i guess i should not worry.

Oxylebius

Lucky you! It probably is a shrimp from the Palaemonidae family. I wouldn't worry about it and leave it alone. These shrimps are known to live on lots of other organisms without doing harm to them (sponges, corals, anemones, etc.). Look up Palaemonid Shrimps, you will see more links about them.