Still researching

jeda707

Greetings,

We are planning, planning, planning to bring a reef tank into our home. We'd like a tank around 200 gallons, and have been learning about all the equipment and components.

Anyone out there have any experience or opinions on the Solaris lights?

We've heard alot of mixed reviews - mostly negative - but those who don't have good words haven't actually used them??

Any advice anyone is willing to share for a first time setup or if anyone has plans/diagrams of a sump setup in the basement we'd welcome your input.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Welcome ABoard - & Yes several of us do have experience with them between myself & Techno-Vicki we own 5 4 of which are 72"

prow

have you looked into the aquaIllumination LCD lights. i like them much more than the solaris. i dont have much experience with the solaris but i like the more compact fixtures by aquaIllumination.

just curious what bad things have others said about the solaris?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Solaris has had some "issues" over the last few years but that's fairly common with something so "new". They've moved a lot of their production to USA and this has greatly improved the units. Their latest unit seems to be "Off the HOOK" in terms of High Quality in workmanship and light output.

The best way I can put this is...

"If I were in the market for a NEW light right now I can say 100% it WOULD be Solaris!"

lcstorc

I can say I just bought one.
It should arrive this week and I will give a review after I have had it a bit, but I was convinced enough to order one.
I too have heard about the initial issues but they seem to have been fixed and everybody seems to agree that PFO has excellent customer service and moves quickly to repair/replace anything that goes wrong.

jeda707

Thanks for all your responses - looked through quite a few postings all over the site tonight - there sure are alot of varying thoughts.

The negative comments we've heard have to do with some of the LED's failing and having to replace the entire bank, the programmable control unit has failed, and the light doesn't penetrate as well as MH.

Looking at some of the pictures that are posted I'd say they look really nice. The cost is a big bite but may be worth it in the end.

Does anyone know of any shops in the Northeast that might actually have them on display?

jeda707

It should arrive this week and I will give a review after I have had it a bit, but I was convinced enough to order one.
I too have heard about the initial issues but they seem to have been fixed and everybody seems to agree that PFO has excellent customer service and moves quickly to repair/replace anything that goes wrong.
Lynn - we'll look forward to what you think of your new light

jeda707

Lynn - we'll look forward to what you think of your new light

Last edited: