Stiing up a 57 gallon Bluespot Jawfish Reef Tank

Adam13

Hello.

I have a 20 gallon FOWLR right now, and I am going to move it over to a 57 gal reef tank with the added room for a Bluespot Jawfish. The new tank is 30" long, 18" deep, and 24.5" tall, plenty of room for a deep enough sandbed for the fish.

I am thinking about putting a 6" tall glass piece on the bottom seperating out a 6" wide deeper sandbed area on one side of the tank, with a shallow 1" sandbed to get it to stay away on the rest. Is there a chance the jawfish will burrow in the deep area I make, or is that a crapshoot. I have a ton of small rubble and shells to put in for it to use.

I am also considering making a tonga branch garden for it to burrow amongst.

Current fish are:
clown
2 firefish
6line wrasse
royal gramma

Once I have the new tank setup cycled, and switched over form the 20 I will add the jawfish and corals. I am doing a fuge and turf algae scrubber so there will be tons of pods in the tank.

Leak tested the new tank for 6 days. All good.

The site won't let me post pics yet.

sheavens

Hi Adam, and welcome to RS.
You have to have 5 posts before you can post pics. Then your first pic. has to be approved by a moderator. I think it's to stop people spamming. It doesn't take long for the approval though.
I haven't ever kept a jawfish, but in my experience fish tend to do exactly the opposite of what you want them to do :)
6" is probably too much, in my experience fish will burrow in very shalllow sand just so long as their is a rock to burrow under.
You could try creating a ready made burrow for it under a rock. I did this for my Goby/shrimp pair when I moved them to a larger tank and they haven't moved.
Just make sure that your rocks are touching the bottom of the tank, and not sitting on the sand bed, if they're on the sand bed there's a good chance that they'll be disturbed and the fish could even get crushed.

Adam13

I am going to put a piece of that white eggcrate lighting grid stuff on the bottom, and make sure all of the rocks are very stable. I might even drill little holes and do acrylic dowels to stop the whole pile from falling apart if the base rocks shift a tiny bit.

Adam13

new tank leak tested
20130525_103550_1.jpg

the current setup

20130521_182133.jpg

sheavens

Looks like you have your pic. posting rights now :)
A lot of people do the egg crate thing, I haven't at the moment, but when I upgrade (again) I think I'll do the same. It's funny but there always seems to be something that you wish you'd done but didn't AFTER setting up a tank.
Looks like a nice tank and cabinet.
Why not start your own tank thread so you can keep us updated as it progresses?