Steve's LEDs

Kikolool

Ok update from me. Got my LED from Steves today. Took me 30min to assemble, easy peasy.
One thing that already annoys me is the built-in fan. Super loud.

dgilbert2

The fan in mine is slightly quieter than the stock fans were. It's not catching on anything is it?

Last edited:

Kikolool

Nah its like a turbine. Nothing catching. I changed the stock fans to EBM Pabst long ago so maybe I'm just used to the silence. But maybe there us an option to turn it down a little? I can't possibly be the only one that hears it as too loud...

Therapy

Thank you very much for this thread. I am glued! I am starting new again after a 12 year absence and am all over DIY as I have always been.

When I complete my DIY skimmer I will post. Decade old improvement in process.

Kikolool

So I believe the exhaust runs at top speed always. The temperature in the typhoon shows -196, that could be because I do not use external measurement for temp.
However the exhaust is so strong, that you can feel a strong stream of air going out of the side. I mean I know that those LED get hot and need cooling but I believe something is wrong with my unit here..

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Kikolool,
Perhaps something could be wrong with the fan. You shouldn't hear the fan at all, only a slight whoosh of moving air. We almost never hear of complains of noise, so maybe your fan just isn't cooperating. Shoot me an email at TechSupport@StevesLEDs.com and I'll be glad to troubleshoot with you.

Jeff

Kikolool

Hi Jeff @StevesLEDs I did. I also recorded the noise with my phone ;) Hopefully it helps and we can find a solution. I mean a little noise is cool, no problem, im not really picky but that turbine now is weird.

dgilbert2

I do find the noise of the cooling air flowing down the tube can be heard and is really noticeable when "on the bench". It is quieter though when fitted to the hood, but I agree, it is certainly audible. Quieter than the stock fans though.

xexitenglishx

Just ordered a set of the leds for my RSM250 with the bluefish controller. I can't wait to get it all set up. Jeff was great to talk to on the phone and was very helpful with the order. I plan on posting before and after pictures once I get everything all set up. Thanks Jeff!!

Kikolool

Small update from me. I discussed the solution with Jeff via Mail and I will get a new cable which will run from the drivers to channel 3 on the typhon controller. That way I will be able to reduce the fan speed the same way I reduce e.g. the light channel intensity.

I will try and find a best possible solution between heat and fan noise. I still believe that the fan constantly runs at top speed and somehow the throttle is not working, however this can not clearly be identified as an manufactoring mistake.

I think that the new solution is the best way and hopefully it works as intended. Shipping will take some days until it arrives here in Germany, but I will keep you posted.

Also I want to thank Jeff @StevesLEDs personally for the very quick help and good and uncomplicated solution. He even made me 2 videos in his lunch break to guide me how to set up the new cable! Awesome

Alex

MATTSA

@StevesLEDs Hi Jeff can you please get in touch with me i have been trying to get hold of you to no avail regarding my controller. Buttons dont work and i cant adjust my leds. Be grateful if you could please get in touch asap. I really need a new one

bradychen

Small update from me. I discussed the solution with Jeff via Mail and I will get a new cable which will run from the drivers to channel 3 on the typhon controller. That way I will be able to reduce the fan speed the same way I reduce e.g. the light channel intensity.

I will try and find a best possible solution between heat and fan noise. I still believe that the fan constantly runs at top speed and somehow the throttle is not working, however this can not clearly be identified as an manufactoring mistake.

I think that the new solution is the best way and hopefully it works as intended. Shipping will take some days until it arrives here in Germany, but I will keep you posted.

Also I want to thank Jeff @StevesLEDs personally for the very quick help and good and uncomplicated solution. He even made me 2 videos in his lunch break to guide me how to set up the new cable! Awesome

Alex
Hi kikolool, were you able to solve your issue with this approach?

I also felt my led is very noise, and would like to see if I can reduce it to a comfortable level

DaveK

Hi kikolool, were you able to solve your issue with this approach?

I also felt my led is very noise, and would like to see if I can reduce it to a comfortable level
Hi, This thread is about 6 years old, so I don't think you'll get a reply. You might do better asking your question as a new post, and tell us about any specific issues you have.

As a note, you can see when someone was last on by clicking on their username. This will display a short profile and show you when they were last active. In this case the user you addressed your post to hasn't been on for a few years.