Steam Punk Lamp

Paul B

I finished my Steampunk Lamp. I would like to take the credit for the design but I can't. I actually saw it on a site called "Intructables". I found it by accident and they have a lot of cool things to build or just to get ideas from. I embellished on this project by adding a water valve that is actually the switch that turns on the thing. There is an air pump inside which pumps air into the glass chamber (wine bottle)
It is built out of PVC pipe which I painted to look like aged copper. That site shows how to do that as I wasn't sure how to get that old copper look but it does look pretty good if I have to say so myself, and I do.

cracker

Looks cool ! So what is the term "Steampunk" ? Is it an art style? I see it as making items useful or artistic out of discarded stuff.

Paul B

It started with Jules Verne 20,000 leagues under the sea. His Submarine, the Nautilis with all the valves, gages, levers and gears started the Steampunk movement. You can Google it and find all sorts of stuff.

Paul B

I am working on a new SteamPunk Light. I just started it, it's the red fire extinguisher thing. Maybe I will make something I can put in my tank.

Paul B

The new one just needs paint, rivets a base and some tweeking to be ready to be put on a shelf and forgotten about.
The gate valve turns it on.

Paul B

I just about finished it. I want to put in a much more antique, more rounder bulb. And maybe a lamp cage

The gate valve turns it on.

Time to start on another one.

Paul B

I am working on another Steam Punk Lamp. This one has fire in it (simulated but very cool) like a boiler. It will be painted like the others and I will add all sorts of "stuff" to it. I think this one will be the best out of the three.

Paul B

I almost finished the third Steampunk light it is 99.99% done. I ordered a different, antique bulb socket so this red one is temporary. This light uses a bulb that has 99 LEDs that flicker in sequence to simulate fire. It is very cool in person but the camera just washes it out. The firelight uses 3 watts. I am also almost finished with the fourth one which is built out of a vintage blow torch.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR7PchYw_XM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

DaveK

Your really cleaning out your basement building all these. They are very creative. Keep up the good work.

In a way this reminds me a little of my dad. He always liked to do paintings, and in his later years would do very abstract paintings and collages. One of the reasons he'd give for making them was "They are just fun to do".

Paul B

I just finished this Blow Torch Lamp. The little pump handle turns it on. I do realize I am getting carried away.
I am working on a smaller, blow torch lamp.

DaveK

Is she helping you around your tank yet? When my nephews were about that age, they loved to help out, so I had to make up some things they could do and not get anything into trouble. They also liked to feed the fish, and would help there.

cracker

Hey Paul. Your designs are very cool indeed ! The one with the whisker, could You get it to spin?
Also Your Grand Daughter is precious !

Paul B

This one I need an opinion on before I finish it. It is solid brass and I still have to put a switch in it. I was thinking of adding another bulb, like the last blow torch light on a brass pipe coming out of the base but on top. It would also have a dual function switch like the last one. Or should I just leave it like it is. It has a cool vintage looking wrapped filament bulb in it but would only be good for a minimum amount of light. I think it's 40 watts.