Starting again

Thauro77

Hello guys

I am starting a new 25 rimless tank. I want to do a reef tank, but now sure about the equipment I need in order to have a nice and healthy reef tank. At the present time I live in a dorm room wher I got to school so this is why I have to get a25 gallon instead of a much larger tank. Can you guys help me figure out the proper and best equipement? Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

Congrats on deciding to start up a new tank. 35g is a pretty good size to start with and it could make one amazing reef tank.

What are you wanting to keep in the tank long-term?

What kind of lights are you hoping to get?

Do you have an idea of the tank you want already or is the sky the limit?

gbose

Welcome to RS. You're doing the right thing to research first. You'll want a good-quality heater, good lights (for a reef tank) and a skimmer. You could begin by putting in water and liverock and letting the tank cycle....

Good luck. Bring your questions here, or to a good LFS (If you have one).

GBose

Thauro77

Ok BigAL07 and GBose, I have a 25 gallon rimless tank, a mr aquiarium tank that I purchased from an old man who is very sick and could not take care of his fish anymore. The tank came with a canister filter, an some lights, but for the most part, I only have the tank. I want a very, very nice tank, that can make a huge impression on my frinds, and also makes me very proud of myself (lol) I used to have a 250 gallon before but after a painful accident, everything died in a matter of hours. Now, I am not sure where to start because I am starting with a 25 gallon. I know I need to get a refugium, a protein skimmer but do I need to get a sump or can I do it with the canister filter. Also, the tank I purchased came with a UV filter something. It looks like something that needs to be put in the water. Actually it looks like the aquascum from finding nemo. All and all, I want very nice corals and a pair of marron clown fish with a beautiful rose anemone!!! It´s that too much for this tank? Please let me know!!! and thanks for your replies.

Thauro77

Ok BigAL07 and GBose, I have a 25 gallon rimless tank, a mr aquiarium tank that I purchased from an old man who is very sick and could not take care of his fish anymore. The tank came with a canister filter, an some lights, but for the most part, I only have the tank. I want a very, very nice tank, that can make a huge impression on my frinds, and also makes me very proud of myself (lol) I used to have a 250 gallon before but after a painful accident, everything died in a matter of hours. Now, I am not sure where to start because I am starting with a 25 gallon. I know I need to get a refugium, a protein skimmer but do I need to get a sump or can I do it with the canister filter. Also, the tank I purchased came with a UV filter something. It looks like something that needs to be put in the water. Actually it looks like the aquascum from finding nemo. All and all, I want very nice corals and a pair of marron clown fish with a beautiful rose anemone!!! It´s that too much for this tank? Please let me know!!! and thanks for your replies.

Last edited:

imsalty

I'd agree. Good lights, skimmer, good flow ( wp25 nice pump), ditch the canister filter or only run carbon through it. 2 little fishies media reactor with gfo maybe. Good water !!!" I'd do a rodi first.