starfish melting

taklein65

Last edited:

tbittner

Sorry I missed your post!

Have you recently done a water change? Did you double check your salinity with the tank and make sure the wc water matches? Starfish can't stand flucations in salinity.

framerguy

Terry, that was my first thought as well. It could be osmotic shock. If the salinity changes too rapidly for whatever reason their hydraulic system can't compensate quickly enough and the "valves" burst. It may take a little time to show, days even, but once they start to break down they are done for. This may not be the case, but have you topped off a large amount of freshwater lately?

taklein65

All 3 starfish have died. salinity is 1.0022 - 1.0024 with Refractometer. I have to add about 1 to 1.5 gals every day when i get home from work. I pour it in the ref maybe too much too fast . Been doing it this way since i set the tank up back in June of 07. Starfish were put in around Oct of 07. Will keep an eye on the tank to see if anything else changes. Thanks for your help

framerguy

Do you have too many 0's in your figures there. The salinity for starfish should be above 1.025, with 1.026-027 being optimum. They need full salinity water. A better way to dose the top off water would be with a drip line. You know how much you need so drip it in slowly to eliminate quick salinity changes.

taklein65

Your right 1.022 -1.024. But could i have something else going on today most of the feather duster are dead or dieing and most of the snails are dead. These starfish and the cleaning crew have been in this tank for 8 mos or more why would they die now? What else could cause a die off like this. Could the tank be sick? Today i put in phos pad and a 25w U.V. Sterilizer. I am not disputing what you say about the salinity but why now after all this time would they all (starfish,snails,feather duster) start to die in the last 3 days? Question if the salinity is to be at 1.025 - 1.027 being opt. should i raise the salinity in the tank to this and keep it there. Would this help the tank in the long run or not or is this just for starfish only or would this hurt the fish? I think you for your help :bouncer:. If you need any more info please ask i need help with this.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Since you're seeing THAT much die-off I suspect something has polluted your tank. Anything COPPER related added to the tank? added anything from your LFS that could have come from a tank with a copper treatment?

framerguy

Yeah, you've got a poison in there from something. The salinity won't account for all of that. Have you set off a bug bomb in the house or anything like that? Have you done anything, no matter how insignificant it seems, in or around the tank?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
One thing you want to do is run carbon and do a water change.

I know a local lady here lost MANY hundreds of $$'s of fish because she bought some new whole room smelly things to make the house smell better. I don't remember the exact details but she installed them in 3 rooms of her home (one being a tank room) and within hours she stated seeing signs.

Something had gone wrong and you need to try and figure out what and how *S*

Good luck :)

taklein65

no air fresheners or bug bomb in the house. I did put a few pieces of coral a friend got off the beach in Mexico about 2 weeks ago:bugout: . The coral didn't smell bad and there was no oily feel to it I have already pulled it out. Men i hope this doesn't kill the tank the fish and shrimp all seem to be fine so far. I'll pick up some carbon pads on the way home and put them in asap:smck: . I'll know better next time. Thank you all for your help:wave:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Man I hope things are improving for you now. Learn and live :) Or is it Live and Learn?

Either way take caution in adding ANYTHING "natural" to your tank.

#1 it may be illegal

#2 it may not be compatiable to your "Reef Tank".. remember a LOT of our trade comes from other parts of the world and may not "Fit" with what's natural near you

#3 Keep in mind that any contaminants from near shore will be concentrated there on the shore-line as tides and wind tend to "pile it up".

Good luck and hopefully you're BEYOND the hurdle now.

:)

taklein65

OK did a WC about 35 gallons put 2 socks of carbon in today. Hopefully this will help bring the tank back. Will do about 50 gallons this weekend if things don't look better.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure the WC water matches the tank water exactly in salinity and temp.

Keep us posted and good luck :)

taklein65

It looks like things are better no more deaths things seem to be fine. Stuff that looked dead is now moving feather dusters i mean. Looks like the starfish and snails are that died.