Stace's 290 g build

Stacef

Man. I don't like the "like" button here. It seems like so much less conversation occurs because of the "like" button just being clicked instead of commenting.

7 fish are currently in QT, they just finished TTM and freshwater dips. Tomorrow we're separating them into 2 different QT's for prazi treatments and formalin dip.

Then observation. Can't wait to get these guys in the DT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

Yeah, like buttons are a mixed bag. I think they intend to stop threads from having a lot of comments that are really just agreeing, but they are pretty non specific.

Anyway, one question I wanted to ask you is what goes into maintaining your tank. One thing that has stopped me from pushing harder for a huge tank is the assumption that it’s way more maintenance. But, with the room built like you have, I wonder if it’s all that bad.

Stacef

Yeah, like buttons are a mixed bag. I think they intend to stop threads from having a lot of comments that are really just agreeing, but they are pretty non specific.

Anyway, one question I wanted to ask you is what goes into maintaining your tank. One thing that has stopped me from pushing harder for a huge tank is the assumption that it’s way more maintenance. But, with the room built like you have, I wonder if it’s all that bad.

Honestly? I bet our tank consumes less maintenance than a lot of smaller ones out there. That's due to the apex, of course.

Maintenance wise, excluding any and all maintenance related to the QT's (excluding because I only add fish every 1-2 years, so QT isn't always running) is probably around... 10 hours a month, max. I really should be around 15 hours. Been working to ramp it back up.

That includes changing and cleaning filter socks, cleaning off glass, changing GFO/carbon, making new saltwater, trimming chaeto etc. nothing crazy.

Then there's about every 6 months to do a full run through of everything, pull out powerhead wet sides and clean, clean return/frag tank pump/skimmed pump, give the skimmer a nice scrub, filters on RO unit, cleaning any debri/detritus in the bottom of frag and or sump, etc.

SPR

Man. I don't like the "like" button here. It seems like so much less conversation occurs because of the "like" button just being clicked instead of commenting.

I never actually thought of it like that but your probably right, because when I agree to something or like something I sort of automatically press ‘like’. Rather than necessary post something and I think probably a lot people do this. Like a silent world....

Anyway I like to be liked so.... makes me feel popular! Lol

And all of this talk of bigger tanks is starting to give me ideas about rooms and what I could do with all that ‘wasted space’ at the side of my S650!

Stacef

I never actually thought of it like that but your probably right, because when I agree to something or like something I sort of automatically press ‘like’. Rather than necessary post something and I think probably a lot people do this. Like a silent world....

Anyway I like to be liked so.... makes me feel popular! Lol

And all of this talk of bigger tanks is starting to give me ideas about rooms and what I could do with all that ‘wasted space’ at the side of my S650!

Very true! I guess you could say I'm old school and would much rather see comments than likes.

Perfect opportunity to make use of that space!!

Reactions: SPR

Stacef

b42ae78ecddfde070b287d896732b274.jpg

Added the new fish from QT, using the mirror and picture method to help aggression to stay lower due to my powder brown already being established in the tank. Mirror was working great, but when I added the pictures (large sailfin pics) the aggression lowered immensely. Immediate difference.

Added:
Tomini tang
Blue hippo
Desjardini tang
Yellow tang
Male leopard wrasse
Flameback angel

All are doing great and went thru full QT wonderfully. I was nervous on QT for the leopard wrasse, but he did wonderful.

I was able to catch one clown and move to the frag tank with the bi color BTA, his partner has been a challenge to catch. Once caught, I can move my pair that are still in QT to the display.

The SPS right in front of the mirror are not happy. The mirror must be reflecting more light onto them. Lowered the light intensity to hopefully eradicate the extra glare they aren't liking.

Hoping soon I can remove all of the distractions and the tangs will figure it out. The powder brown is lightening up on going after the sailfin and blue hippo. From the get go, the powder brown and Tomini have been best buds.

These are the last fish we are adding for a long time. I usually only add fish every 12-18 months. Next is stepping up my coral game to get more variety. Growth has been extremely well since hooking up the calcium reactor.

Have a bit of algae going on, but I've been feeding a lot more than normal to help get everyone comfortable. A few more weeks of heavy feeding and I'll go back to "normal" feedings.

Currently feeding 2 sheets of nori a day, could really up this to 3 I bet. They go through it quickly and loving it. Were making a custom nori feeder so I don't have to reach in the tank to get the clips out, will share once it's completed.

Can't wait to get the clown pair out of QT, they're a gorgeous pair, and deserve the bigger tank. We've tried the bottle trap method, I haven't been patient enough, I don't think. This guy is smart. Hopefully will catch him this week!

Susanedw

Love your tank. Wow, what inspiration. And I agree with your "like button" comment. Sometimes I see 7 alerts and they are all "likes". and yes, I do my share of liking as well <g>

Stacef

Love your tank. Wow, what inspiration. And I agree with your "like button" comment. Sometimes I see 7 alerts and they are all "likes". and yes, I do my share of liking as well <g>

Haha! I’m fine with ‘liking’ as long as there are comments accompanying it. I guess I come here to converse more than just share.

Thank you for your comments! It’s been a lot of hard work, but finally flourishing and looking like a Reef versus 1-2” frags [emoji16]

Susanedw

Very true. I love the conversations. I can also see that sometimes, liking is efficient. It allows the OP to see that someone is paying attention. Or it can act as an agreement. Example, I agreed with your post above, so if I'd "Liked" it, you'd have gotten that message super quick. But like you, I look forward to conversations.

Pat24601

Very true. I love the conversations. I can also see that sometimes, liking is efficient. It allows the OP to see that someone is paying attention. Or it can act as an agreement. Example, I agreed with your post above, so if I'd "Liked" it, you'd have gotten that message super quick. But like you, I look forward to conversations.

I think too it stems from old forum practices of people having to say "I like your post" without really much else to add. That came to be viewed as "noise" to many of the forum users because not a lot new was being said.

I vary on liking and responding depending on if I really have anything to say.