Stace's 290 g build

Stacef

The sump room materials were purchased today. Got a wash tub sink and all of the lumber. All of the lumber under and around the tank will be green treat. So, we went all out and purchased a custom sump rather than the 125g sump. This will not be housing the fuge, the fuge will be in a separate tank that overflows to the return column in the sump.

Pictures - lumber, and lots of it!
Dogs - They are being very helpful chopping up the wood for us. They are all 3 acting like wood chucks on our scrap wood.
Daisy - She fits nicely inside the tank layout.

We realized something tonight, our Tunze PH's may not be the most ideal. The 'lid' of our tank is not removable, there's 3 access points (see pic in first post of this thread for visual). Our PH's have the cords inside the tank, so the cord is going to be away from the sides because it's not an open top. Does this make sense? How do we make this work? Do we drill small holes in the lid? Do we find PH's like the Ecotech's that the cord is on the outside?

Attachments

• wood.JPG
    wood.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Dogs.JPG
    Dogs.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Daisy.JPG
    Daisy.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 16

Stacef

Hey guys! Thanks for the support. We are getting anxious as well, it's all coming together. We still have a lot to do before the tank arrives, like build the entire sump room, but we're making headway. Once the tank arrives we have to buff the acrylic, remember this is used, and pretty scratched up. Our solutions came today for fixing the acrylic.

Being we decided to dry this 424 lbs of LR, we laid it out, wow! It's so much more when it's laid out. Those pieces in the top of the close up picture are HUGE!

I told you we decided to go with a custom sump that was designed for an external skimmer... well here she is. Got a heck of a deal on this puppy, can't wait to get it pushing some water through. We are debating on fuge size now. I want the DT to be 'less' full of rock for a cleaner look, so I want a fuge that can handle a large amount of rock. Size TBD.

Attachments

• All.jpg
    All.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 21
  • close.jpg
    close.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Sump1.jpg
    Sump1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Cleaner.jpg
    Cleaner.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 21

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nice looking sump !

index.php

Stacef

Well, almost 2 years since I've logged in here and found I left you guys hanging entirely. Here's a sneak peak into how the tank is doing today [emoji51] will update you guys this evening with more details!

8d080eedc8e793bf6c914f4495b7e08e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

That's an incredible looking tank. You've really worked it into the room as well as I've ever seen.

I'm tempted to show my wife to see if she'll let me have a 300 gallon build in after seeing how cool it looks.

Stacef

That's an incredible looking tank. You've really worked it into the room as well as I've ever seen.

I'm tempted to show my wife to see if she'll let me have a 300 gallon build in after seeing how cool it looks.

Wow! Thank you! We wanted it to look like the house was built that way. I think we accomplished it! Good luck with your wife, hopefully she agrees!

I need to get my good camera out for a good FTS. My iPhone just drowns in blue, and the pics don't turn out at all.

Here's another angle, that yellow light in the hallway drives me insane in this pic. It's now LED daylight color [emoji51].

7abc0f4ac78897f4714df2719d649348.jpg

Last edited:

Stacef

I'll take a full video of the fish room this weekend to post. We now have the calcium reactor up and running, the auto water changes via DOS on the Apex and of course ATO.

The AWC currently takes 6 gallons NSW and puts it into the sump, at the same time removing 6 gallons from our cryptic fuge and putting those 6 into our QT (2 x 20 gallon long where we do TTM and 76 days holding). These 2 QT overflow into the main drain. We can shut off one tank or even both tanks and drain directly to the drain if we're not needing QT. It's worked amazingly so far. Most likely will be upping it above 6 gallons soon. The corals seem to be enjoying the water changes. Not surprising considering we didn't do a water change for at least a year. (Did I just admit that?!?)

Stacef

So I took the video of the fish room, why can't I post the video via tapatalk? I'm using an iPhone, when I add media or attachment, there's no option for video and it doesn't show my video in my files on my phone. If I get out of Tapatalk and go to my photo library, the video is there. Anyone have insight how to post the video?

Stacef

Video of the fish room and complete setup. The sound you hear from the DT side is the bar (kegerator) and box fan. There's no sound from that side.

When you get into the fish room, the sounds really amplifies in the video, it's not this loud in person!

See if that works. I found out tapatalks video function is down, had to go the Vimeo route.

SPR

Video of the fish room and complete setup. The sound you hear from the DT side is the bar (kegerator) and box fan. There's no sound from that side.

When you get into the fish room, the sounds really amplifies in the video, it's not this loud in person!

See if that works. I found out tapatalks video function is down, had to go the Vimeo route.

I wouldn't know were to start with all that kit. Quiet amazing how much 'stuff' it takes to run a big tank. Very nice, especially the fish room set up.

Oh and the bar! I have one for my home made beer. Can't beat it!!

Stacef

I wouldn't know were to start with all that kit. Quiet amazing how much 'stuff' it takes to run a big tank. Very nice, especially the fish room set up.

Oh and the bar! I have one for my home made beer. Can't beat it!!

Thank you!! Thankfully my husband loves the mechanical/building portion of the fish room and everything it entails. Otherwise this wouldn't have been as great as it is!