sponges

Susanedw

C250 sponge questions

First, I can't seem to locate replacement sponges for both sides of the sump--just the large I believe. The sponges in the c250 are 2 different sizes

Second, is there an alternative to using the sponges. Seems they are nitrate factories, and when I remove them, the chamber is still filled with crud. I'm having high nitrate issues, even high day after a water change. Yet I don't want to risk my pumps by removing them totally. Yet what is the difference if there is still stuff in the water below them...

Can I cut them in half so they aren't so deep? That would also give me a spare and allow me to wash and dry a set.

I'd also like to replace the media rack with an acrylic one. Can someone post a link where to buy?

DaveK

I would just take out the sponges and not use them. Your skimmer will pick up the fine particulate matter. Yes, the skimmer cup will need more cleaning, but that's easy compared to the sponges. You'll save money since you will not need to replace them.

If your going to use sponges or other mechanical filter material, most LFS sell this is sheets about a foot square. You can cut them down to the size you need. You can also get even larger foam sheets from your local fabric store and do the same thing, but make sure you rinse them out well before use.

Susanedw

What I did, just to see, is cut 1/3 off each sponge and used that in each chamber. I can yank those out fast every couple days and replace with others cut the same size. If nitrates do not go down in next few days, i'll try not using sponges at all.

I believe the pumps are suspended, ie not resting on the bottom of the chambers which should keep a lot of gunk from clogging the pumps. And the water still has floating stuff in it anyway, with or without the sponges.

Pat24601

What I did, just to see, is cut 1/3 off each sponge and used that in each chamber. I can yank those out fast every couple days and replace with others cut the same size. If nitrates do not go down in next few days, i'll try not using sponges at all.

I believe the pumps are suspended, ie not resting on the bottom of the chambers which should keep a lot of gunk from clogging the pumps. And the water still has floating stuff in it anyway, with or without the sponges.

Cutting the sponges in 1/3 is reasonable. A lot of people did that.

It used to be common practice just to take the sponges out. That's what I did once I started having nitrate problems. It helped a ton.

Most anything you do here is OK, but both of the options you discuss are relatively common practice.

Keep in kind the sponges are really there (according to Red Sea) to protect the pumps. I never had a problem with my pumps after removing the sponges. Others may have. I don't know.

Susanedw

thanks @Pat24601 Worried about pumps is why I decided to try 1/3 of the sponge. But as the pumps do not sit on the bottom where stuff would accumulate but are suspended, it can't be any worse with or without sponges as I notice the water is rather dirty regardless when I take sponges out. We shall see...