So you want a tang?

michael_cb_125

I know, I have been cleaning it veey well, fortunately it was not very deep, and I have rough hands, its hard to break through.LOL
I guess I deserved it though, he was mad.-Michael

Jen

Looks like this thread may be a bit old, but I'm wondering, which do you all recommend, The White Cheeked or Yellow Eyed Kole? I have a 120 reef, 48". All other fish are small, docile.

Kirblit

I have a Kole in my 125 and he's one of my favorite fish and moves around a lot but for the most part he is very docile. They also have one of the smallest caudal spines of surgeon fish and aren't known to be very aggressive, they are usually picked on by other tangs.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The white cheeked Tang aka A. nigricans is actually a very difficult fish to keep. I would recommend the Kole Tang which is a hardy fish and a excellent herbivore !

Jen

Thanks so much...that White Cheeked is so beautiful, but it's always a shame to me when they're really difficult to keep. The Kole is pretty, too, so I shall plan accordingly.

Kirblit

Another tang that you may consider that is similar to a Kole is a Bristletooth Tomini Tang also a good choice that won't be aggressive or get too big.

RyanG

Im planning a 180 sps dominated reef. High flow 20-30 time an hour min. I would like to have a large tang(vlamingi or desjardini) and a large angel(queen or imperator) as show piece fish these will be my last two fish. Do you have any suggestion on which one should be the "last on in"?

Craig Manoukian

A vlamingi tang will probably be the most aggressive of the three. The angel, depending on the species will probably be more aggressive the the sailfin tang (desjardini).

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I would like to have a large tang(vlamingi or desjardini) and a large angel(queen or imperator) as show piece fish these will be my last two fish. Do you have any suggestion on which one should be the "last on in"?

The vlamingi IMHO will get too big for a 180, I would opt for a Red Sea desjardini and make the large Angel the last addition.

brandon

I heard the copper bands were bad with corals has any one had any problems with them eating your corals?

Craig Manoukian

Copper bands are not tangs but do nip corals and clams. Tangs are generally herbavores and ar not known to bother corals.

pelayo31

Craig - Thanks for your information. I have a 95 wave tank. I am sure you will be happy to hear that today I purchased a Kole Tang and a Desjardinii Tang from the LFS before I read your article. Very nice relief to see my research was not incorrect in determining which two tangs to mix in my tank. Both are juvenilles and I hope I can keep them there for the long run. Also, I have in the tank: 1. foxface lo (really small) 2. sixline 3. coral beauty 4. black clown and a 5. royal gramma. I wanted to add just a small school fish. Any suggestions/comments on the school and/or tank stock? I was thinking some chromis or cardinals (not sure how many). Any suggestions/comments from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Any other small fish that anyone think I could add? I obviously do not want to overstock. Thanks.

Craig Manoukian

Your current fish list, with the two tangs, will consume your tanks biocapacity when they are full grown. I would add any additional fish. In addition, the less aggressive schooling fish could suffer from territorial attacks which are exacerbated with over stocking.

pelayo31

Well just to update you, the Kole tang died 2 nights ago because it was not eating any of the foods I offered, only just the rock. The Sailfin is doing really well so far. So I have an open spot in the tank, any suggestions on any fish I could put into the tank?

Varga

sorry to hear. My kole died after refusing to eat too!
I'm not buying any more fish till I see it eat in the store.

Craig Manoukian

Make sure your Kole tangs have a deep rich coloring. Pale pinkish is a sure sign of cyanide caught and they develop digestive problems and usually die.