So my tank is too small for a Tang.... but what next?

Discussion in 'General Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Beth Maroney, Sep 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Beth Maroney

Beth Maroney New Member

I feel like tank space for Tangs is a hot topic, but I rarely hear of alternative suggestions. I’m planning way in advance what fish is like to have so that I can put the appropriate fish in first/last etc. I have a RS E260 and is like to have one larger bodied fish similar to a tang. I love angelfish, and I know there are some who are ok in a tank my size, but I know they’re not reef safe. Thoughts? Opinions?

Nobbygas likes this.
  2. Pancho75

Pancho75 Well-Known Member

I believe you can have an angelfish in your tank but it has to be a small one, like the pygmy angels, coral beauty or flame angel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas, norfolkgarden and DaveK like this.
  3. norfolkgarden

norfolkgarden New Member

Do you have any interest in a fairy and flasher wrasse tank?

I believe the tank is 70 gallons?

Can you tell us a little more about your coral goals and what type of smaller fish you like?

There are few smaller fish more colorful then a flame angel fish. But they are not always coral friendly as they mature.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Pancho75 and DaveK like this.
  4. nanoreefing4fun

nanoreefing4fun Well-Known Member
    RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
  5. Paul B

Paul B Well-Known Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    If the tank is 70 gallons you can easily put a Hippo tang in there. I have had quite a few and the first one was in a 40 gallon tank. He lived 10 years but after the first few years he was transferred to a 100 gallon tank.

Nobbygas and Pancho75 like this.
  6. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

The key thing here is that you made a big tank upgrade a few years in. If the OP is not in a position to do that, then tangs should be avoided.

Pancho75 likes this.
  7. Pomacanthidae

Pomacanthidae New Member

if your tank is a long tank rather than vertical or cube, you could probably fit a tomini tang in it, and if not, I would go for a coral beauty because they are hardy, generally peaceful, but somewhat territorial. always make sure your specimen is healthy and eating, and I wouldnt go for a flame, because they are prone to ich, and other infections. they also have a worse record of eating coral, and have strict dietary needs. if you have lobophyllia, trachyphyllia, or scolymia, i would avoid angels altogether. if you don't want a tang and the tank is a long tank, you could get a one spot foxface.

8. Uncle99

Uncle99 Well-Known Member

Tangs are travelers and can swim miles in a day. In contrast, clowns rarely stray more than a metre from their host. The issue is not what fits it's what size do I need to fit.

If trading in something you would normally do, smaller yellow and blue tangs can do fine in a 70g for about 24 months.

If your not for trade in, Royal grammas, red and purple fire fish, clown pauses, red spotted blennies are all super peaceful, great colour and hardy.