Snails dying

reefer gladness

I've had a bunch of snails die in the past day or two and trying to figure out what's going on.

It's been about 2 days since adding 3 peppermint shrimp to my tank to tackle the aptasia. Peppermint shrimp won't attack snails will they? They were probably really hungry when I got them home and they've been munching on everything in the tank including the aptasia.

I also just treated the tank for flatworms using Flatworm Exit. I have some corals that are damaged from the toxins released from the flatworms but not sure if that would be a factor in the snail deaths.

I've caught one of the peppermint shrimp harassing a nassarius snail but it was too late to tell if the snail was already dead from something else before the shrimp got to it.

Any ideas?

swissgaurd

yes i have witnessed peppermint shrimp attacking snails i also witnessed couldnt believe my eyes they killed a longspine sea urchin

vic

DesertOrchid

I seem to recall a warning on that stuff about removing snails and crabs before using. Perhaps the flatworm exit did them in.

reefer gladness

Would be a bummer if the peppermints are being aggressive. Not only do I have no idea how to get them out but they seem to be working on the aptasia, didn't have much but it's almost eradicated.

The directions for flatworm exit are pretty general and just refer to 'reef inhabitants' that can be affected by the toxic body fluids from the dying flatworms. I've already lost a couple heads on a kryptonite candycane coral and a few others aren't looking very happy. Can't rule out the flatworm exit yet but I'll be keeping an eye out for aggressive shrimp behavior.