skimmer on a 55 gallon?

ChitownRomeo

Hey guys. It's been a LONG time since I posted on here. Cancer had a strong grip on me but I'm back now ;)

I know this is a loaded question but what do you guys think about not having a skimmer on a 55gallon lps, softie tank. I have a eshopps skimmer on it now but i have a very low bio load and it seems like it's a waste. I KNOW it works cause I had it on my sps reef and it collected so much. I guess my question is, do you really think I need it on this 55 gallon. I do water changes every sunday or every other sunday.

DaveK

Since you have a lightly stocked tank, you don't critically need a skimmer, but it would be a good thing to keep around.

You could run it for only a day or two per week. The other big advantage is that if something like a large soft coral dies, a skimmer can remove a lot of glop before it really fouls the tank, and it will give you a warning if something is very wrong.

If you didn't have a skimmer, I'd say there was no need to run out and get one. Since you already have a skimmer, keep it around and working. It's not going to cost much to run.

Edit - fix spelling errors

Last edited: