Skimmer observation

flynfish

My tank has been running for 1 month, and after the initial struggles with microbubbles and tweeking the water level to get good surface skimming things were running smoothly. The skimmer never put out much, but I assume that was because of the newness and lack of load. Then yesterday, one of the powerheads started vibrating and when I turned it off the skimmer instantly put out loads of foam into the cup. Turn the powerhead back on and down went the foam then micro bubbles into the tank. I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions.

reefer4200

I am assuming your skimmer is in your sump as thats what happens with mine too, it goes nuts when the sump is filled to high. Say when i turn off the main pump. But to help we need to know the kind of skimmer...?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
flynfish - Great to see you found the RSM forum - Welcome again! I'm guessing that when you shut off one powerhead that the water level rose in the back compartment, which had the water level rise up in the RSM skimmer, and allowed the foam to finally get into the cup. How often do you clean the filter pad - cleaning it every couple of days keeps the water level up in back, and helps prevent the microbubbles too. Anything that interferes with the flow through the back can starve the pumps and/or affect the skimmer.

reefer4200 - you'd have to own one of these finicky all-in-one nanos to "enjoy" the fun of trying to get all the pieces to work well LOL! The skimmer is in a back filtration compartment, behind the display tank section, as well as 2 powerhead pumps, and typically some mechanical and chemical filtration media. Keeping the flow at optimum through the back can be difficult at times.

flynfish

Reefmack: Thanks for making me feel welcome. You are sooo right about these things being finicky. I'm new to this and really enjoy tinkering around, but am a little frustrated with this skimmer. I change the filter pad daily, and have experimented with different kinds of fiber floss. Found some poly quilt batting that works nicely , doesn't restrict flow but does a good job filtering out the junk. For now I guess I'll keep one of the powerheads off and let the skimmer run. Only have one fish and a Zoa plus CUC. I think I see a new skimmer in my future. Keep up the good work.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
flynfish - I replaced the skimmer with a HOB Remora - with a raised hood I could easily do that. Some have gone to the Tunze 9002 skimmer, and can usually get it to work fine and be able to lower that back flap. Maybe someone running the 9002 will post some pictures.

By the way - anyone is always welcome here - even non-RSM owners. I think you'll find everyone friendly and helpful here, and in the rest of Reef Sanctuary as well.

slakker

I noticed that too... with my main DT's in sump skimmer, I can control the foam by water height as well as the air intake... with the RSM Skimmer, what I've been doing is playing with the skimmer gate to get it at that "right height" and leave the air wide open. I also did a mod in the skimmer cup as suggested here where I drill a 1/4 in hole in the top back corner of the cup and put the air intake into it. This increases the vacuum to lift the foam.

The following isn't my picture, but I did the same mod...

SkimmerMod.jpg

steveh

We would advise you to remove the white felt pad and only use it for periodic, short term surface skimming. In normal operation the black foam will suffice. Later versions of the RSM have a channel cut in the black foam to ensure consistent water flow. Obviously the filter inlet comb should be at its lowest position for normal operation. The new optional surface skimmer, which will be available shortly, aids the consistency of water flow and makes everythinrun even more smoothly. This will be a standard fixture on the 130D version, and can be installed as an upgrade on existing RSM's.

jb673

Folks;
Gosh!, just be patient! At 10 months now, my stock skimmer has just been perfect. I added live rock at one month, a couple of corals at 2 months, then a couple of fish (clown & hawk) at 3 months. I really feel too many of you are looking for almost INSTANT gratification! Guess what-it ain't going to happen!! In my very humble opinion, the stock skimmer is just fine. Relax! I'll post a few pics soon.
Best of Luck to All! Jerry

slakker

I guess for me, it was the comparison to my euro reef skimmer in the main DT. Assumed it would work the same or similar once you install it.