Skim mate smells different?!?

newo11

I know I am among friends, so I can ask this question and y'all would understand......my skim mate smells different this evening. I just tested the tank and my nitrates are elevated for my tank (around 20). And I emptied my skimmer cup and noticed the skim mate smelled different.

Any ideas? No change in my feeding schedule except that I am feeding nori multiple times a week to keep the tang happy. Would that be enough for there to be a noticeable change in the smell?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would just guess... the stinkier the more efficient the skimmer is doing, maybe as it breaks in more, more stable water levels & maybe from feeding a bit more, it's extracting more organics or some combination of the above ;)

newo11

No change in the "stinky-ness" level, just a change in the pungency, lol!

To a non-reefer that would probably sound strange. But I noticed a change in the way that it smelled and well you know how it is - immediately I am concerned that something is wrong in the tank.

The only other thing I can think of - I am using the newer version of LRS's foods. I finally ran through my stash of his earlier blend (pre-probiotic) version. And switch over a couple of weeks ago. Maybe it took this long to be noticeable in the smell?