Simple Hearty Corals

SaltNoob

Do these exist or is this an oxymoron?
I've got the standard RSM 130D w the T5s...
Just curious...
:jumprope:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
IMO...Yes, they do exsist! This should be a good thread :D
I wish I had of known which ones to get & stay with when I started my tank.
I have a few favorites that have done very well in my tank....
I could recommend them to others but not everyone has the same "likes" in corals.

Neon Green Candy Cane (trumpet coral)
image.jpeg

Started out with only a few heads & have fragged (super easy to frag!!) several times & shared it. Grows fast but is not invasive.

Another one would be BRANCHING DUNCANS:
image.jpeg
For the same reasons I like the Candy Cane (above)
In the picture also is ACANS....so many pretty bright colors to pick from with them!!
Can you tell I'm an LPS L:heart:VER? :D

Maybe others will share more easy to keep ones :)

SaltNoob

Y
IMO...Yes, they do exsist! This should be a good thread :D
I wish I had of known which ones to get & stay with when I started my tank.
I have a few favorites that have done very well in my tank....
I could recommend them to others but not everyone has the same "likes" in corals.

Neon Green Candy Cane (trumpet coral)
View attachment 44145

Started out with only a few heads & have fragged (super easy to frag!!) several times & shared it. Grows fast but is not invasive.

Another one would be BRANCHING DUNCANS:
View attachment 44146
For the same reasons I like the Candy Cane (above)
In the picture also is ACANS....so many pretty bright colors to pick from with them!!
Can you tell I'm an LPS L:heart:VER? :D

Maybe others will share more easy to keep ones :)
Candy canes look awesome! No special requirements?

DaveK

Most of the soft corals are a good place to start. Leather corals, xenia, colt, zoas, and mushrooms are good. They also grow fast, and can easily be fragged, so you can easily populate your entire tank with them.

Once you see those work you should be fine for most LPS corals, but check the requirements for the specific coral. Some LPS corals are very difficult.

The most critical thing with corals is high quality, stable water conditions. Corals don't like change.

Oxylebius

Some corals need feeding, some twice a week, others once a week. So again, some research on what your buying and the corals needs are in order.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Great thread, very helpful to know since I'm just starting out. Very nice candy canes
Thanks @MarkD :)
The main thing that I wish I had understood better was that keeping a few EASY to contain (keep in their own space) was better than trying to have such a wide variety. I just didn't know that they would grow so fast. Not being "into" fragging the more difficult ones to frag....I would have completely avoided getting them.
I can't go back without starting over. :confused: Some cannot be removed without getting rid of the LR they grow on. Something to think about. :rolleyes2: