Silver97's Official tank chronicle

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have a 66 gallon - two clownfish, one starry blenny, one bartlett anthias and one yellow tang

I feed one cube every other day... and keep a sheet or Nori hung daily with Vita-Chem on it

Hope this helps...

silver97

This clarifies a lot for me, thank you for your help. I dont know if I will go for the nori, I think i might just alternate feeding cubes and flakes and see how that works out. I'm sure with the vita chem added it will be healthy for them. I might go for nori or something like that when I get my blenny in the future. But for just my clowns I think this sounds like a good plan of attack. I may get some macro algae to grow in my tank, and maybe my blenny will eat some of it? I have some red dragons breath algae already from a piece of live rock, so maybe he can eat that too. Anyway, thank you for your help @nanoreefing4fun!

silver97

Today I went to Petco to look for the food and vitamin enhancers. Found the frozen food in a 24 cube pack for around $10, couldn't find the vitamins. I ultimately decided to go to the other store where I'm going to get my other clown next week or the week after, only because something may be coming up and I might go out of town next week. I want to be able to watch my fish for at least a week to see if it will be healthy before leaving it for a few days.
Other good things came out of this visit though. I saw a dusky blenny at Petco! They also had a lawnmower blenny but the dusky looked so much cooler. The only thing I didn't see was a price tag, but the good thing is I know at least one place close to home where I can run to get a fish I need.
Then one fish REALLY got my attention. They had a valentini (or saddleback) puffer fish. This was the coolest little puffer that I have seen yet. They had a dogface that looked miserable in the other display tank also, but my tank isn't big enough for it. The valentini puffer on the other hand needs only a tank of 30 gallons or more! I think my 40 gal. would be good for it. But then I did some research, and I already knew that puffers eat corals and inverts, and found mixed reviews about it being reef safe. I saw some say they wont go near soft corals, some say they had their zoas devoured, some say they don't bother inverts much if their well fed, some say even if they are fed a feast they eat all the snails and crabs they want. I would like to know what your opinions are on this fish. Is it generally reef safe? What coral will it eat, what coral will it ignore? I also heard rumors that it nips at fishes fins, so should I wait a while for my clowns to get bigger? I will not be getting another fish for a while after I get my clown in the next week or 2, and the next fish after will be a dusky blenny. So is it a good idea to get one or not?

silver97

'Little' update
Did a 20% water change today and cleaned all my filter attachments and various other things in the tank. My stupid primer, which is used to pump water back into the canister filter, didn't want to work and gave me a bit of a scare. I was pumping it like crazy and no water flow was happening. I ended up just manually filling the filter back up and it continues to work fine. Makes me want a tank with a sump on it that much more.
Saw a HUGE amphipod today in my tank, this thing was as big as a carpenter ant (still pretty small, but for its species i guess that would be huge?) Kind of startled me at first, but then it quickly darted back into my rockwork because my clown saw it too.
Starting to see little spots of coraline algae all over my rocks, on my filter intake/outtake tubes, and even on my powerhead. Lets me know at least I'm doing something right haha
The peanut worm in my tank started to show again, while I was trying to get the filter to work again it stuck the 'head' of its body out and I saw its tentacles, kind of reminded me of something from an Alien/Predator movie.
I've decided to get my next clown next week, as I will be gone this weekend and don't want to leave my new fish alone until I know it's ok. I will also be picking up those vitamin additives I've been looking for, have gone to both Petco's around me and neither had them, so have to make a bit of a trip to the saltwater specialty store. The frozen food has been working great, I was surprised how many shrimp were able to fit in one cube! Definitely too much for one clown, but I do see him eating when I feed it, i think the one he ate the most of was the plankton pack or one of the brine shrimp packs, most of the shrimp were too big for him to eat all of it. The hermit crabs love seeing the hurricane of food coming for them though, they scatter all around the tank trying to catch them and its fun to watch.
My zoas have noticeably grown since getting them, my Radioactive Dragon eyes seem to be getting bigger, maybe one or 2 new heads, but their frag is shaped weird so that might have something to do with it. My blue eyed monsters look stunning under the actinic light, ironically like a bunch of eyes! They have grown at least 5-7 new heads since I got them. The gorgonian hasn't noticeably grown, but it hasn't deteriorated either. Maybe a bit bigger, hard to tell though.
Hopefully my next update will be of my new clown, and I know Iv'e been lacking pics lately so I'll be sure to upload them then!

silver97

Today I woke up and noticed my tank was cloudy, and I wasn't sure what was wrong with it. I had tested it the night before after all my water changes and the ph was at 7.9, so I put a bit of ph booster into the tank to start to even it out. Ammonia was up just a bit, nitrates were 0 and nitrates around 20, so I put in some Amquel to help out the bacteria with the ammonia.
I had to leave for class this morning and didn't get a chance to retest ph, went to a football game practically as soon as I got back home, and didn't start to look at the tank until a few hours ago. The ph had dropped to 7.4! I have had that happen before when using my booster, and it says it sometimes takes up to a week to stabilize, but my clown is alright, swimming like usual, the snails/hermits are ok also. The only thing that doesn't seem to agree with it are my radioactive dragon eyed zoas, they closed up but my blue eyed monsters were all still open along with my eyes of rah zoas and my gorgonian. Maybe they are just a bit more sensitive then the others?
The cloudiness has noticeably cleared up, but its still there a bit. I dont know what would have caused that. My salinity dropped down when I did the water changes from 1.025 to 1.022, so I mixed some more salt but I only had enough to get it up to 1.024, which is still considered safe but it was borderline 1.023/1.024, but i can pick up more and mix new water next week when I pick up my fish. I dont know if that caused the cloudiness or not, but that along with the ph fluctuations are making me nervous about leaving it alone with my grandfather for the weekend. He is just going to feed the tank once a day, but he doesn't know how to test for everything so I'm a bit worried.
Please pray my tank survives this weekend!

rostervandross

Hey man, looks like we are starting out very similarly. I like your tank and we are on the same page starting slow and on a budget.

I just upgraded my 20g long tank into a 75g tank. Picked up some more rock and a skimmer and a mess of fish to trade in at a bargain, but I am running a fluval filter as well mostly for ceramic media and carbon, or as a "media reactor" as necessary.

See you around!

silver97

Cool! Good luck to your 75 gal.!

Small update
After leaving my tank for a 4 day labor day weekend, I came back monday to find it not as bad as I thought it was going to be. At least my grandfather fed my fish. The water level was 4 inches below where it was supposed to be due to evaporation, and my outflow pump turned into a hose basically spraying water into the tank but also effectively splashing it onto the underside of my tank cover, so when that water evaporated there was a ton of salt left behind! This further depleted my salt levels, so the next day I went to get more salt because I had previously ran out. There was also an excess amount of algae growing on the sand, not sure if it was cyano because it didnt look like it but im guessing it was some diatomic algae due to the fact it was brown. I got the salt and balanced it out, balanced all the other levels out (thank God the ammonia and nitrites were still at 0). The ph had fluctuated before I left and I was worried about it, but it thankfully stabilized to 8.3 while I was gone. Other than that my clown, all of my snails and hermits were ok and survived the weekend!
I really need some nassassarius snails so I can keep my sandbed clean. It looks disgusting.
I am also happy to report that this week i am DEFINITELY getting my other clown! Just not sure which day, possibly today or friday.
My cousin used to be into saltwater tanks and he said that he used to put mollies in his tank. I thought they were freshwater only, but apparently in the wild they live in brackish water, so they can effectively live in either fresh or saltwater. I thought this was amazing! Since they breed like crazy, he said its also free food for your tank due to the large numbers they birth at once. I figured this might be a good idea to get one to throw some live food in for my hermits or any other carnivorous fish I get (albeit it is a bit cruel) but if I were to get a mandarin fish down the line he would go to town on them! And since most of them wouldn't live anyway, if they were to die, the bacteria in the tank could eat the remains and build up its reserves, which technically would mean more corraline algae in the tank. I may get one or 2 and experiment.

silver97

FINALLY GOT MY FISH TODAY!
Went to the lfs that was a little out of my way, and to my surprise they had no black oscellaris clownfish.... Big letdown, I was extremely mad because thats what I had wanted so badly. They put me on the list to contact for when they get more, but they didn't necessarily know when that would be. Oh well
I found the Vita-chem, put a bit in my tank, will put some on the food tomorrow.
They had some nassassarius snails and I wanted 10, but the...eccentric.... clerk could only find 6. This lady was a little screwy, but helpful, she actually asked me about my tank and its parameters and I felt she knew what she had been talking about. Regardless, Those 6 have cut my algae problem down already. I put them in one corner of the tank where I had the largest concentration of the algae, and it is already looking better.
Ok, now the fish!
Like I said before, no black oscellaris, I was pissed off and the lady could visibly see that. There were at least 12 the last time I went a month ago, so they must have all been taken. I looked down and saw they had misbar black oscellaris, and those kind of intrigued me. I took a closer look at them and found 4 main problems:
1. $20 more expensive than the regular black oscellaris, $20 I didn't have
2. Size was double the size of my current oscellaris, about 2-2 1/2 inches each, so didn't want to risk any huge confrontations.
3.They weren't moving too much, and as I looked closer I think I saw why
4. They all had signs of ick. (or ich, however you spell it)
I crouched down and got a good look at them, and they were all showing signs of it. One was so bad he was just sitting on the bottom and breathing rapidly. A few others were breathing rapidly too, and they all looked to be getting white markings on them. I know this could have been how their pattern was supposed to go, but it just didn't look right. I figured if one had it, they all did and I wasn't going to take any chances.
As the clerk was searching for the snails, I looked in a few other tanks and one fish that I had been hunting for was in their store: A BICOLOR BLENNY! I got realllllly excited when I saw him and instantly decided if i couldn't get a clown today I was getting him. And I did
I was a little worried on the way home, we had to pick up my sister from a her classes and stopped for food on the way home, so what should have been a quick 30 min drive back home turned more to a close to an hour ride back. I put him in the bucket for drip acclimation and he wasn't moving whatsoever, thought he was dead but I looked closely and saw his gills moving and figured he was just going through a bit of shock. I also saw that he had developed a few white spots on him that he didnt have in the store, because I looked at him for a good few minutes before asking for him to make sure he was moving well and seemed healthy. I figured it was just a little discoloration from being out of a tank for a while, and they have since dissappeared. I put him in the tank with the lights out for a few hours ( I had to leave and do something) and as I came back I found him generally in the same area he was in before.
As I started writing this though, he just started moving around. My clown had gone up to him and checked him out, it kind of looked like he was giving him a tour around the rock he was chilling on. Then he disappeared, and I found him in a hole on the rock I didnt even know existed, and its in the perfect spot in front of my tank. Now my clown is swimming near the hole and the blenny is picking algae off the rocks. We'll see how he does through the night, still a bit worried about him but i think he will pull through. Now I just need to think of a name for him...
Sorry if this was long to read, I was so excited and had to share EVERY detail! Pics in a few once I get them uploaded

silver97

nassassarius snails floating in the tank, was supposed to get 6 but one was an empty shell.
IMG_0240.JPG IMG_0242.JPG
Bicolor blenny acclimating!
IMG_0243.JPG
If you look at the darker spot towards the bottom of the pic you can see him hiding in his hole (barely)
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
Area where the snails cleaned up a bit.
IMG_0248.JPG
One of the snails at work

silver97

IMG_0249.JPG
That brown stuff is all algae, hoping my blenny and snails will clean it up, On the rock to the left I plan on isolating either a xenia colony or a green star polyp colony
IMG_0250.JPG
My clown in his favorite spot, the back right corner of my tank. Those polyps are blue eyed monster zoas, and their closed only because I had the lights off to reduce stress for the blenny.
IMG_0247.JPG
And to close, a full tank shot! You can also see towards the left of my tank a bit of red dragons breath algae that is growing pretty well, Its probably grown 3 inches since I got it almost 3 months ago and the rock it came on has other sprouts of it starting, hoping to one day be able to sell it when I have too much.
If you guys want to see specific pictures of something just let me know and I'll try my best to get them up here. That's all for now!

silver97

So after a day the blenny has survived!
I woke up around noon and he was out and about on the rock structure near the hole he hides on. I walked up to the tank and he darted back in quickly. I figured he'd be afraid of me for a few weeks, thats how my clown was. I then went to feed my tank some frozen food, i think from the multi pack i picked the emerald cuisine because I wanted the blenny to have a chance to eat some algae containing food. I forgot it was mostly frozen shrimp, but i knew it had some algae in it, and the blenny ate the shrimp! I was shocked because I had read they were herbivores, but i guess mine is a bit omnivorous. Better for him i guess.
The nassassarius snails are a bit underwhelming. That pic i shared yesterday of the corner they cleaned? Completely repopulated with new algae. It looks to be a bit less overall right now, but still not to my standards. I kind of wish I had gone with black sand instead of white. I will be ordering some corals online in the next week or so, and the site I use has snails super cheap and BOGO, so I'll probably get 20 to be safe. If you think that would be too many for my tank size let me know, because I'm just guestimating.
My clown has had a major improvement in his mood since the blenny got introduced. They swim together and seem to be best buds. It's truly awesome.
Other than the algae in my tank, everything else seems to be in good shape! I'll do another big update in a week or so if I get some new corals. Im thinking Xenia, GSP and a mushroom possibly. Most likely 2 of the 3.
See ya

silver97

Quick update
The blenny is still good, he is one of the funniest things I have ever seen
I ordered some more coral online. I got a fuzzy green mushroom and some green star polyps. I also ordered 20 more nassassarius snails. The algae is seemingly diminishing, but it is still all over the place. The ones in there need backup. I have 5 right now, but I only ever see 2 out even when I'm looking at night. I figure 20 would be a good number in case a few don't make it.
I haven't got confirmation of when the order will ship, but I think it should come by Friday. The site I order from is usually quick with that stuff.

Oxylebius

Way too many nassarius snails. 6 work fine in my 65g tank. Nassarius snails usually don't go for algae. They will eat your fauna in the sand bed and clean up uneaten fish food and consume dead critters.

You are gonna want to get a variety of other snails for eating algae off of rocks and glass. This is a pretty good combo to get: turbos, astreas, ceriths and nerites

silver97

This is what I have right now:
8 turbo
1 margarita
2 big nerites
6 nassassarius
and a lot of other random snails that came out of the rockwork, i think they are all looking to be nerite but dont do any noticeable damage
The reason that I'm getting all the algae is due to me overfeeding, and I've corrected that now but I still have all the disgusting looking algae growing on my bed, and its spreading. Last saturday when I got them, the 5 of them took down the one corner of algae, so I thought if they could eat the food I wouldn't have much of an algae problem anymore. The only problem I have with feeding now is that I don't have a spot feeder, and i need one so I dont have to broadcast feed my tank Coral Frenzy. I think that's the main spreader of nutrients across the sandbed, because in the dead spots in my tank it would accumulate.
Surprisingly they didn't have one at the shop I went to, so I will check Petco one more time and if they don't have one there I'm going to hit up amazon and order a cheap one.

silver97

Just re-read your post, and I checked but they already processed my order so I cant change it...
But if worst comes to worst I'll just sell them back to my lfs and use that money to get a more diverse crew. I have not seen any nerite snails at any stores that I've gone to. If I was able to change my order I'd get a few of them, but I'm not ordering from the site for a while.
Correction on the post above, 2 big CERITH, not NERITE
The ceriths eat a bit of the algae but seem too slow to do anything drastic.
Whatever the case, I can't change it now, I think I'll leave the snails for a week and see what they do. If they die at least I get a free hermit crab shell out of it.

silver97

Quick update
Algae still hasn't gone down, and now I noticed what could possibly be a bigger problem...
BUBBLE ALGAE! (da-da-DAAAAAAA)
Yeah i saw a huge bubble first, then a little one, then another little one, and on another rock I saw a few more little ones. Nothing big yet, but I hear people have problems with them fast. I am going to try and stop this as quick as I can, going to get an emerald crab next time I head out to a store. Or possibly a sally light foot crab, but not much info on those, I hear they take out bubble algae as well? Any idea on which would be better?
I've also noticed a breakout of hydroids in my tank, they came on a frag of zoas I got a while back and have started to grow a bit. My blenny seems to be picking them off every now and then, but they are still on the frag with my corals, so he's also disturbing them in the process. Kind of worries me, but I know he's going for the hydroids because he goes for them on a few rocks without corals near them.
One more thing I'm concerned about...
I had a peanut worm in my tank, and for the past 2 weeks I haven't seen him whatsoever. He used to live under one of the big rocks in the tank. I could usually look into my tank at night when I'm going to bed and see his tentacles waving around and crawling on the live rock.
So when I spotted the bubble algae, I also spotted a bunch of tentacles near it that looked a lot like the worms tentacles. My fish both swam over it and onto the tentacles and they just retracted, and I'm guessing if it was a majano or aiptasia anenome they would have reacted differently. The tentacles seem to behave in the same manner the worm's did when it was under the rock. It is now on top of the rock though.
But I am seeing them in the middle of the day, and with the possible location change it got me wondering. Can peanut worms move around the tank? Im guessing they can, but I'm not sure. Or does this sound a bit more like an invasive anemone? Here are some pics to help
IMG_0258.JPG
Those are the hydroids
IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0259.JPG
Granted they're not the best pics, but in the middle there is an area you can see a tentacle. I had to increase the light intensity to get the blue lights out aand get a clear enough picture, but you can still see it a bit. The little tan part its coming out is the tube it makes i think. Bonus, near the top left of each pic you can see the huge bubble of bubble algae. Not that big, but bigger than the others.
IMG_0261.JPG
And to end, a pic of my fish hanging out together. This is probably the best pic I've gotten of either of them.
Please try and answer my questions!!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would simply siphon the bubble algae out when doing wc, I had some & it worked for me...

need a better pic to id the tentacles... my 1st guess would be micro brittle stars... good members of cuc, but that just a guess... do they happen to look like this?

IM005958mbrittlestar2.jpg

see what others think...

silver97

No, but I wish they were brittle stars. I want some so bad but cant find any in stores.
The tentacles are clear pink. Very thin, almost translucent. There dont seem to be many either, whic again makes me think it's just my peanut worm.
What do you recommend siphoning the bubble algae out with? Turkey baster? Syringe?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I just used a hose... you can bump/thump it as needed...

I have seen post of members that inserted cut pcv to get at it too... hope this helps

images

siphon-hose-1-2-inch-id-th-1-700x700.jpg