Signs of Anemone Dying

Gina

RS STAFF
When our anemone died, it's arms became string like instead of full of air, the arms started shriveling up or shrinking. Then it all closed up to about the size of a quarter or half dollar and turned over on it's mouth. This whole process took about 2 weeks to go through. I wasn't sure when it started if it was dying or not and that's why we left it in the tank. Once, it turned over and was totally shriveled up we should have taken it out then but, again I wanted to wait and see if it would come around. Bad mistake! It polluted the whole system and we lost alot of our life in the tank!

Do you have one that you think might be dying? What is it doing?
Make sure it's just not stressed before you do anything.

gussy

Last night I rescued the contents of a neglected tank from a friend of mine. It was about 6 weeks old but the tank is still not cycled as they used white gravel, no rocks, and fake plants. I measured traces of ammonia and nitrites. They bought the anemone with a clown fish about a week ago.

Since I didn't have space for the 10 gallon tank, I took the occupants...a H. Malu, a large Percula (I will trade with a friend for his tiny Maroon), 2 Peppermint Shrimp, and 2 turbos. I dropped the anemone and clown into my 20 gallon and the shrimp and turbos into my 12 gallon nano.

I just don't know what to look for in an anemone...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It could be that the anemone was dying in your friend's tank and that is what started his water paramters to go crazy.... If you don't see a significant change soon or if it's mouth is open and looks to be turning inside out get it out quick. A healthy anemone shrinks and inflates occassionally but it's mouth should never open far enough to expose it's guts. Good luck with it!! Keep us posted.

gussy

It deflated once this morning. I tried to give to feed it a small shrimp but it doesn't want it. When I tried a piece of Ocean Nutrition Formual Two, it tried to eat it and then spit it out. The anemone seem to be sideways and anchored to a small cave wall with the it's column hidden.

I guess I just don't know how is it supposed to look and what is "normal" or "stressed".

Gina

RS STAFF
That's exactly why we left ours in. We didn't know either what was normal or not. Once, it turned upside down we should have immediately taken it out. I left it there for one more day just to make sure. One more day was too long! What a mess/headache that was and for a couple of months!!

Keep us posted on how it's doing!

gussy

Okay, I've swapped the 4" percula with this tiny clarkii...I think.

1429DSC_2090-med.jpg

As I look at this several questions comes to mind:

(1) Is this a BTA or E. Quadricolor? It's colored green in the disc.
(2) I was shocked to see the clown fish disappear inside the mouth of the anemone. It seems to like doing this every now and then. Is this normal?
(3) The anemone is not attaching itself to the sand or climbing to attach to the rocks. Do I move it to the top of the rocks?
(4) When I turn off the lights at night, the anemone either expands (e.g. seems to fill up like a balloon) or shrinks with the tentacles getting really thin. Is this normal?

angnak

1. not real sure.
2. Yes this is normal, mine did it a while back and I thought the BTA was eating it and then the little guy poked his head out as if to say what are you looking at. I see him all the way in there every once and a while.
3. The anemone is probably still a little shocked. They have very slow metabolisms, hince the reason it takes two or more weeks to completely die. One of my BTAs did not take food at first and was not "sticky" but after a week or two it finally took the food and was very "sticky" So give it a little bit. After it started eating is when it started moving from where I put him. Since you have a clown hosting, you should not have to feed the anemone as the clown will do so by just dropping some while it eats. Mine actually spit food into the anemone and go back to get some more for them. I know it is scary to wait, but once the tentacles start to drop off that is when I would worry.
4. Yes, this is normal. I have been told they are expelling the old air/water to get new water. Some say they should only do this once a week or so, but I have had mine for 2 yrs now and mine seem to do it every other day. They shrink down to nothing sometimes and it worries me but a few hours later he is larger than ever.

gussy

It seems to be doing okay though it is standing at an angle with half of the foot on a rock and the other on a substrate. I'm debating whether I should remove the rock or let it be. The other day I thought that it had eaten the clown because I saw the tail of the clown sticking out from hole and not moving. After about 5 minutes, the clown came out.

angnak

Just let it be. Less stressful just in case it has its foot attached to the rock. Clowns are crazy :D!!! From your picture the anemone doesn't look half bad. have you noticed if it is "sticky" yet?

gussy

It's stick alright. A part of its foot is attached to the rock while part of it is also attached to the sand. It looks odd as it's tilted about 45 degrees.

nigle

Oi!

Don't get excited about the placement, anemones will usually go where they want to, both of mine is on the side of the rocks in their respective tanks. Even when I 'move the rock' it goes back to where 'it' wants to be, so don't worry about it not being in a 'pretty' location.

The prams comment above is very telling. They will usually give signs like that before the end. Once they have had it YOU WILL TELL! The smell of a dead anemone is one that once you smell it you will never have to ask again, HA!

Some time the insides will come out through the mouth, this is not always a sign of dying, but of stress as mentioned above also, so watch it but don't become alarmed, well be alarmed but watch it, it might just be having a bad day, they do that sometimes.

Watch the prams and especially the 'smell' of the tank. Let time be your aid, but don't stop watching it.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The Anemone you have is a Long Tentacle Anemone it doesn't attach to rocks but will attach it's foot deep into the substrate it requires about 4" of depth. Don't touch it and don't even feed it for a few days so it adjusts or acclimates to your tank. The fact that you have the Clown already isn't good because they can actually stress the Anemone making it more difficult for it to acclimate. From the pic it doesn't look too bad just keep a close eye on it and keep those parameters good. Good Luck

Sunnier

Thanks for the information. We think ours is just fickle. We will continue to watch her close for signs and smells! Thanks again for the information!

dcgray123

Thank you, you guys actually answered some questions I had about my anemone too =)

1. not real sure.
2. Yes this is normal, mine did it a while back and I thought the BTA was eating it and then the little guy poked his head out as if to say what are you looking at. I see him all the way in there every once and a while.
3. The anemone is probably still a little shocked. They have very slow metabolisms, hince the reason it takes two or more weeks to completely die. One of my BTAs did not take food at first and was not "sticky" but after a week or two it finally took the food and was very "sticky" So give it a little bit. After it started eating is when it started moving from where I put him. Since you have a clown hosting, you should not have to feed the anemone as the clown will do so by just dropping some while it eats. Mine actually spit food into the anemone and go back to get some more for them. I know it is scary to wait, but once the tentacles start to drop off that is when I would worry.
4. Yes, this is normal. I have been told they are expelling the old air/water to get new water. Some say they should only do this once a week or so, but I have had mine for 2 yrs now and mine seem to do it every other day. They shrink down to nothing sometimes and it worries me but a few hours later he is larger than ever.

Shalaine Mac

It is now 3am & I am losing sleep over my green BTA...

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/i...mall_2/0_0_c109090d97a7f69620433a3a0e54273d_1http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/external/5286835_5552688_156205312_WebSmall_2/0_0_c109090d97a7f69620433a3a0e54273d_1

This crazy thing looks terrible, it's tentacles look like they're all melting, the mouth is gaping, white & puffy, & it won't eat (krill/myosis shrimp). It keeps moving, is not bleached & doesn't smell so I've kept it in the tank. 15-20% water change every week with water from the store, yesterday was most recent and all param in line-salinity 1.024, Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia, Calcium 480 . Tank is approx 6 mos & was started with all live rock/sand/water from store. 36 gallons w/ AI Sol Blue. We cycled empty for 2 mos before slowly adding corals.

I've read everything I could online, Karen's rose nem, Carlos's Reef, various websites, all mention melting, removing, etc. No one really tells you how to know for sure it's dead & how to move it. Should I put it in a bowl on top of the tank? Does it need me to run bubbles/oxygen?

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/i..._Web_3/0_0_748ef352a180a4d5719196f74883d13a_1

Any specific pictures or things to check if dead nem (besides smell) would be helpful, i.e. when would you pull it? If no quarantine tank, what then?

Your advice welcome, thanks!!!

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Shalaine Mac said:
It is now 3am & I am losing sleep over my green BTA...

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/external/5286835_5552688_156205312_WebSmall_2/0_0_c109090d97a7f69620433a3a0e54273d_1http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/external/5286835_5552688_156205312_WebSmall_2/0_0_c109090d97a7f69620433a3a0e54273d_1

This crazy thing looks terrible, it's tentacles look like they're all melting, the mouth is gaping, white & puffy, & it won't eat (krill/myosis shrimp). It keeps moving, is not bleached & doesn't smell so I've kept it in the tank. 15-20% water change every week with water from the store, yesterday was most recent and all param in line-salinity 1.024, Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia, Calcium 480 . Tank is approx 6 mos & was started with all live rock/sand/water from store. 36 gallons w/ AI Sol Blue. We cycled empty for 2 mos before slowly adding corals.

I've read everything I could online, Karen's rose nem, Carlos's Reef, various websites, all mention melting, removing, etc. No one really tells you how to know for sure it's dead & how to move it. Should I put it in a bowl on top of the tank? Does it need me to run bubbles/oxygen?

http://cdn-3-service.phanfare.com/images/external/5286835_5552688_156205363_Web_3/0_0_748ef352a180a4d5719196f74883d13a_1

Any specific pictures or things to check if dead nem (besides smell) would be helpful, i.e. when would you pull it? If no quarantine tank, what then?

Your advice welcome, thanks!!!

Welcome to RS!

Sorry you're having issues. :(

As far as I know, the only way to tell if its dead us by smell and lack of response to touch. But others I'm sure will jump in.

Also, what do you believe to be the cause in its decline? My first guess would be that the tank is only 6 months old and not sufficiently matured for a nem...

...."Fish" Happens!....