Sick Mandarin

magnetar68

I bought this fish last Wednesday. It had just arrived at the LFS. They have a little copper in their water.

I did a 2.5 hour drip acclimation since the LFS salinity is 1.018 and mine is 1.024. He is in a QT tank. I noticed a small protrusion with some white/gray translucent pus on Saturday. A different LFS (a better one) recommend a 2.5 minute freshwater dip with PraziPro. THe fish seemed to do a little better, but today he has a lot of pus coming from his gill. He is lethargic and not eating. See pic below. Any ideas?

SickMandarin.jpg

QT parameters: SG 1.024, pH 8.2, no nitrates, ammonia, phosphates, nitrites.

Corailline

Would that be his mucos coating ? Was this first thing in the am ?

He does not look to good in the picture. Sounds like he has been through a lot. Hope he pulls through.

leebca

Was the fish alone in its tank or was it kept with other fishes at the LFS? What other kinds of fishes were there? Was the tank this fish was in connected to other fish tanks -- in a system?

I fear mostly for this being Brooklynellosis. There are two treatments for this, one is FW baths and the other is Formalin baths. The FW bath is successful about 60% of the time, the Formalin bath treatment works about 99% of the time.

Both treatments: Put the fish into a bath once every other day until the fish has been treated 5 times total.

This is the FW bath procedure, EXCEPT the fish is to be held in the FW bath for 10 minutes: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/31523-freshwater-dip-process.html

This is the Formalin treatment: Formalin Treatment - Marine Fishes

Under the current circumstances. Start with the FW treatment while you go about obtaining the Formalin. The fish needs to be moved into a quarantine tank.

:)

magnetar68

Was the fish alone in its tank or was it kept with other fishes at the LFS? What other kinds of fishes were there? Was the tank this fish was in connected to other fish tanks -- in a system?

Thanks for the feedback. As mentioned in my original post, it is in a quarantine tank (QT). I will try your suggestions.

The fish was in a holding container that is connected to other fish. They use copper for all fishes, so the mandarin was exposed to copper even though they are sensitive to it.