Sick Mandarin! White Spot on Side!

squidy

I noticed my Mandarin had a small white speck on his side around Sunday night. I thought it was sand stuck to the slim coat. Well Wednesday night I noticed the spot had grown to eraser size and was oozing a whitish slim that was stinging off of it. I removed him and put him in the QT with copper and Seachem Metronidazole treatment twice a day. As you can see from the pics, the white is gone but the wound looks like some sort of skin rot. Tonight he would have been in the qt FOR 48 HOURS AND Im concerned about him starving. Should I put him back in the DT and see what happens? If the spot gets worse, I will have to remove all my LR again to get him. Any advise (Lee) would be great here. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

greene394

I dont think he is going to starve in 48 hrs....takes a while for them to starve. Sorry this has happend. Hope it will get better soon. No I would not put him back in DT. Buy some pods to put in the QT for him to eat. You should be able to purchase it at LFS.

squidy

I talked with one of my LFS and she said to keep in the qt one more day. Give him 3 full days them put him back in the DT. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

reef dummy

I totally misinterpreted your title, I thought you were going to show me a snowcasso type of Mandarin or something. Hope he gets better.

redsea reefer

I would also put some pods in the qt and leave him in there a week or longer so you can monitor his health. you can also use KENT GARLIC EXTREME, it helps with infections and wounds for the poor little guy. They are my fav.

leebca

The fish in the photos is not healthy. The fish should remain in quarantine until it returns to the best possible health.

If you see the fish I see, you see a fish with deteriorating fins. This is the first area of the fish to usually indicate a problem in nutrition, water quality, environment, disease, or any combination of these.

The fish will pretty much cure itself IF you find and eliminate or severely reduce the problems causing this condition.

I don't have enough information to make an informed opinion if there is or isn't a disease issue here. The excess mucous is one way in which stressed fish cope with those problems listed above, so it could be anyone or a combo of those.

The owner is the best person to try and figure out what is wrong, if anything, with water quality, feeding, and environment, but I can assure that the answer isn't, "Everything is okay." :)