Sicce Pumps

Acanman

I just realized my rsm250 pumps are not Sicce. How much of a difference does it make? Is it worth changing out all 3 pumps to sicce ($275)? Or leave it? Or is there something better (Eheim) ?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
This was a huge deal... at the time, Red Sea replaced these pumps for free for anyone's that asked them to within the 1 year warranty with free shipping - lots of old post about this... Red Sea after the RSM 250 1st came out (around 3 years ago), about 5 or 6 months in... switched to the Sicce pumps which solved the problem and proved to be very reliable, the main reason being excess heat the hydor pumps generated and some pump failures.

If you are running a chiller... this may not be a big deal

Hope this helps...

as a sidebar... I got my RSM 250 a couple months after the change & I remember calling Red Sea (Houston corporate) and talking to Pinky, to ensure the one they shipped me had the new Sicce pumps & she verified for me they did. This was on 09-11-2010, everyone I know of after this date that got one new, got the Sicce pumps...

Acanman

Dang :(. I got mine june 2010. All 3 pumps non-sicci. I do run a chiller but it runs all the time. If Sicci pumps are also quieter, maybe its worth switching out the skimmer pump. What you think? Ive also read a lot of rsm250 owners who change out their rightside pumps to the eheim3000 because its more quiet and less heat?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
None of my pumps make any noticeable sound - all skimmers make a bit, but I have learned sound is subjective too - I wrote one post after taking all kinds of DB level readings with an expensive sound monitor on the RSM 130D back in 2009.

$$$ are subjective in a hobby... as you know, I like a good value, so it's hard for me to say if it's worth it... what is expensive to one person, is nothing to another, being you have a chiller.

What I would do, is see if any members have any used Sicce ones... I have picked up over the years, spare used pumps from RSM Club members for just shipping cost & like $30 extra - for all pumps - on my 130d & 250 :dance:

Skimmer pumps are pretty easy to find used, when some members upgrade to other skimmers...